Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ginger?

Posted by badducky San Antonio, TX (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 12:48

Howdy,

My wife and I just moved to San Antonio from Georgia, and I was curious to know if we're close to tropical enough for ginger plants. If so, is there any recommended varieties or techniques we'll need for the winter?

Thanks,

Badducky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ginger?

You should look for a variety called Moy ginger. I work at the Botanical Gardens and we have that one growing everywhere in the gardens. I know there are others that will do fine here but there names escape me at the moment. I know the botanical society has some they sell at the plant sales. Welcome to Texas!

o

lots of ginger around the Houston area, San Antonio should be fine. just cover with mulch/hay during the frost/freezes.

o

I have ginger growing in Dallas, so it should be fine there. It doesn't seem to like the brutal summer heat here though, but you might have better luck. They die in the winter but come back in the summer and multiply nicely.

o

I have white butterfly and hidden ginger growing inground in North Texas. As Lynnmarie said, dies back in winter, and resprouts each Spring.

o

• Posted by allen 8-b Texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 16:45

Just go to h e b and buy the ginger that they sell, cut it in chunks and plant in the dripline of the roof. I did and it smells great snow white flowers and spreads good too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here