Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilij1963

Winter gardens?

lilij1963
12 years ago

My husband wants a winter garden. I've never had one, so have no idea what to plant or even if it will work. Does anyone here winter garden? We live north of Houston, near Shepherd.

Truth be told, I'd rather buy and plant the fruit trees and such that we want...

Comments (11)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

About all I do is plant some winter flowering annuals like pansies and snapdragons, and alyssum. There's also some kale and cabbage out in the beds.

If I had myself pulled together I'd have lots more kale and cabbages and some lettuce as well.. :(

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Vegetable or flower?? Or both???

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I have a wintergarden every year. It is my best garden. I do have frost cloth that I use for the garden when the temps head for a hard frost. Many things will grow through it but are much happier with the frost cloth. I grow turnips, parsnips, radish, nasturtium, Siberian kale, several lettuces, Mizuna, chervil, cilantro , swiss chard, arugula,, beets, chinese cabbage, Tatsoi, Broccoli, cauliflower, Chinese greens, carrots, dill, Snow peas. If it hits 12 again, I will use 2 layers of frost cloth and have my straw mulch down thicker. My garden is smaller this year because of the continued drought.

• lilij1963
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carrie- I was talking veggies.

Wantonamara- thanks! He wants to grow okra- doesn't that need more heat?

Melvalena? heh.. me too...

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Yes, okra will grow and produce only when the sun is hot, but if he can wait, you could put in a summer crop of it.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

All my friends have had such great luck with swiss chard (producing through the summer too) that I put some of that in too. I also like collards and mustard greens, so they're staples in my winter garden.

Lin

• jlgarden53
    12 years ago

Living in the North-East zone 5 years back, our veggie garden were covered with snow in the winter. Nothing was growing in that garden except green onions. They stood firm and green above the snow all winter long.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I have some chinese tiny "leeks" that made it through the heat and the snow. They are indispensable to me. My onions are coming up from the ground and some of my big leaks are returning after they "died" from the lovely summer weather we had.

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

Cilantro grows in winter?!?! I've been wanting to grow cilantro, but was waiting till spring to look into it. I better get busy!!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I have some growing now and it was not effected by the cold front that we had. I just planted a new batch of them yesterday. I throw a frost cloth over them during hard frosts, but they are tough.

• merrybookwyrm
    12 years ago

I have salad burnet, swiss chard, and sweet violets (maybe missouri violets?). They make good salad greens all year long. Also french sorrel grows well.

Good luck picking out and planting your fruit trees. What kinds are you interested in?