Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ouch! Acorns falling!

Posted by bedford8a 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 13:23

Couldn't work in the yard today. The wind is blowing hard and the acorns are falling on my head. Wow, do they hurt! Does it seem like there are more acorns this year than before? I read somewhere that some plants and trees produce a bumper crop of seeds durng a drought to ensure the future of the species.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ouch! Acorns falling!

studies have shown that oaks have cycles in bumper crop seasons called masting. a few theories, trees take time to store up enough energy for these bumper crops. or helps to control the population of small creatures that eat the acorns, if these creatures have abundant food every year, it won't take long for the population to explode and eat up all the food.

spring weather would affect crop production the most, if there are any late freezes(blooms are killed off) or too much rain (a lot of pollen gets washed away)

o

We keep sweeping them off of the driveway and two hours later it looks the same :-) Talk about an exercise in futility! Bedford, you need a hard hat!

o

We also have squirrels who throw acorns down on the driveway. Make enough noise that I imagine they'd hurt too.

o

Dummie me (not from Texas, CA desert doesn't have Oak trees) couldn't figure out how it could hail at my client's house (Post oaks) without clouds! She laughed and told me it was acorns. There certainly seems to be a ton this year.

o

Old timers would say ..........."hard winter ahead", but this is NOT what the weather forecasters are saying. I hope the old timers are wrong about this one.

o

Haven't we had our share of "hard winters"? What happened to global warming?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here