Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Waiting for the first freeze

cynthianovak
11 years ago

Everything will change in the next few weeks. Leaves are falling. I need to mulch / mow or rake...but they sure are pretty. Dug out two dead roses, cut the last seeds heads from some of the last zinnias in the back. Moon flowers have been removed and poppies planted.

I went for it and planted 5 of the 6 camelias so they can get their roots going. I must be crazy...but what are you doing? I need something to do beside walking around and wondering how I'm going to roll everything I want to rescue into the garage and greenhouse.

Got the daffodils and anemones planted, waiting for the leaves to fall to plant some pansies...

I accept that it is some form of maddness...but what are y'all doing?

c

Comments (6)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Good topic Cynthia! I've mostly been wandering around the yard wondering how I'll be able to get what needs to go in my small green house in there. I'd like to be tying up the bougainbillias, but want things to look nice for the family Thanksgiving over here.

However, most of the kids and grandkids, neighbors, etc. probably wouldn't even notice it if I did tie them up as they get so involved in telling their stories and remembrances ... LOL And besides it might freeze before Thanksgiving.

But I am pulling or cutting back up a few plants that are past their prime and dead heading the roses. Also am repotting a few small things and planting some winter greens.

How about the rest of you?

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

I moved most of my pots into the shed at the last threat of a freeze. I didn't move them back, so I only have two to move. They are really big and heavy though. Already planted pansies, but need for the other stuff to die so you can see them. I just can't bear to pull up something that still looks good like the commercial landscapers do every season. I usually wait until the week between Christmas and New Year's to plant the spring bulbs. I'm afraid if I do it now they will bloom and freeze in a month or so.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have tulips in the fridge, I'll plant them between Christmas and Jan 10 speaking of madness. I'm waiting to plant the Dutch iris too.
    Do you know what the week of Thanksgiving means to a bulbaholic? It's the week Sam's usually marks down their boxes of bulbs and what doesn't go within a week, they "send back" somewhere...or at least that's what they've told me in the past. :+)

It is also the when Vanengelen does their big clearance sale, and I go for more of something.

BTW I tried Australian Basil this year/ Never saw it before. It's on very woody stems and it is rather fuzzy, but laughed at the chill that hit the other basils hard.
    Back to watching the leaves fall and wondering how I will ever get plants in.

• bouquet
    11 years ago

That "bulbaholic" comment really cracked me up! I always wait until Thanksgiving to plant my anemone, Dutch Iris, Tete a Tete daffs and ranunculus bulbs. Thats when I throw down my larkspur, sweet scabious, Queen Anne's Lace, bells of Ireland and sweet peas, too. Always soak those anemones, ranuncs and sweet pea seeds before I plant. Love the way the Tete a Tete daffs look planted around my day lillies. Most years the Dutch iris and Tete a Tete come back for me. The other bulbs that naturalize for me here in the Dallas area are 'Cynthia' tulips. Very tiny, but so cute when nothing else is in bloom at that time of the year...Went ahead and planted anemone and ranuncs since I won't be home at TG. Will overseed with some lettuce seed that did so well last year. Have so many zinnias blooming in fall colors! Just hate to pull up things that are still in bloom. If they freeze I won't have a choice. Need to get those larkspur seeds planted! I always enjoy watching my little seedlings grow all winter.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Thankfully, my parents got to town this weekend, my father & I will put up the greenhouse sometime this week and move all of my mother's plants inside it. Not looking forward to it as it turns my den/family room into a cave since it surrounds the patio door, which is the only outside "window" for the room. But, it's only five months, right? :)

The rest of the plants are in the ground and will either die (and come back from seed) or die back and come back from the roots. OR, they'll laugh at our winter and grow through it. Guess my plan worked!

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Not too much lately, watching my gazillion green tomatoes, hoping they'll ripen somewhat before it freezes, but who knows? Daffodil bulbs are sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be planted along with native flower seeds. Roses are still blooming like mad, especially Belinda's Dream, couldn't be a prettier Fall!! My DH is feeling pretty good in spite of his cancer, I'm doing lots of cooking, even getting to like it (sort of) after 49 years! Life is good.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!