Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostedo

Winter fate of Talinum this late in zone 8?

We had several of these come up in a pot of Cassia after we acquired it in August which the NTP folks ID'd as Jewels of Opar (Talinum paniculatum) - most likely the 'Limón' cultivar based on the leaf color. Would like to keep one or two alive over the winter to try them out in the garden next spring.

Most sites say they behave as self-seeding annuals in zone 8a, but the linked article mentions they may be root hardy here. Does anyone know if they will survive this far north with a cover of mulch if put in the ground this late? Guess other question is whether there could be any viable seeds in those "jewels"? That's a 4" pot in the photo, so plant is still pretty small. TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: Limón talinum is jewel for gardens

Comments (6)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I'm not as far north as you, however, the roots of my talinums have always survived the winters in San Antonio, but to be sure I'd bring that little pot inside until you find that it will reliably self seed as mine does.

I have three forms, the old fashioned green, the lime green 'Limon', and a taller variety with bigger flowers that came in with a plant I bought. I love them all. Where else can you find such an easy to grow plant with few demands in such a great foliage color, unless it would be "Chocolate plant".

You will likely get some negative comments about how they will come up everywhere. And they will if you don't use a lot of mulch as I do, but if they are not in a welcome spot they are easy to pull when young. When older you have to dig up the fleshy roots; they they come up easily with one plunge of a digging fork.. Anyway they don't grow to be large plants so they've never been a problem.

Hopefully you'll get some replies from your area.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I had a volunteer come up this summer, I assume from seed. I had this plant a couple or years ago and the new plant came up in an area that we uncovered when we reconfigured the patio. The seed (or maybe the roots) were underneath a flagstone and was exposed when we moved it. The plant is in the same spot that it had been planted a few years ago.

Sorry, not really useful information since I am just making guesses as to why and how it came back. It's a lovely plant, don't you think?

• trickster
    10 years ago

Hello, just thought I would mention my experience with this plant. Grew it last year & my original plant was quite small. I had one self sow this spring & it has gotten quite large. I am not going to do anything with it & just see if it will come back from the roots. I have collected some seed just in case. When the seedpods turn from red to brown, the seeds will be ready (the are tiny). I am several hours north of you in Oklahoma Zone 7.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roselee: Had seen concerns about it's aggressive seeding, so appreciate the input on ease of dealing with the volunteers; sounds similar to the native ruellias we let grow in some spots. Will take your advice and pull at least one in for the winter... though being inside under my care might actually lower it's chance of survival.

Pkponder: Yes, they are lovely plants that I don't recall seeing often other than as seed pods used in dried floral arrangements. A very nice bonus and surprise that the species is native to Texas. We untangled an incredible mass of tuberous roots from five tiny plants when we planted the Cassia, so imagine yours could have survived a while under flagstone as long as it didn't drown or freeze, though volunteering from seed seems more likely.

trickster: Thanks for the input on the seeds. I'll certainly collect them as a backup.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

My limon has come back from the roots every year (or has for the 2 years I've been here in east Texas). It doesn't seem to self-seed as vigorously as the plain green (or it may be that my green is in sun and my limon is in a shadier spot), but cuttings root readily.

However, if you're putting it out this late, the roots may not have a chance to establish before cold weather - we're expecting freezes here this week. I'd be tempted to winter over that small pot and put it out in the spring.

OTOH, I have sand which cools off more than your soils, so you may be fine.

Lin

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lin, Glad to learn Limon has returned for you in 8a. Looks like we may get an early freeze this Wednesday, so will be sorting out this afternoon which starts to bring in and which can be banked outside. Appears we'll have room to shelter all the talinum in heated space this winter for the reason you mentioned. Thanks!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz