Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blessed_garden

Need 'What to plant' advice for a north-central Austin yard

blessed_garden
12 years ago

Hi all,

I am in need of advice, and thought this may be a good place to post.

I am specifically looking for ideas of flowering shurbs, both for sun and for shade areas of my yard. I live in a ranch stlye house, so my yard is long. I have two large shade trees. The bed near my house in the back is in shade most of the day. Along the fence is mostly in sun minimal 7 hours.

I am close to 35 and 183, so my soil is more of the clay type, not caliche.

I would like drought hardy/tolerant, but do not want desert type plants, except maybe like one or two for an accent. I also have two dogs that spend a lot of time in the yard. They do not eat plant matter, but I would like nothing sharp to danger their eyes.

Thank you for your assistance. :-)

Brian W

Comments (10)

• blessed_garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do not see an edit function for post, so this is an add on:

I also would like to ask what ground cover is good for the base of the trees as well, and for around the shrubs.

Thanks again!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I'm not in Austin, and don't really care for shrubs so I ignore them. Except for roses... :)

When I first started out, I read every thread here and googled each and every plant anyone mentioned.

Be patient, I'm sure someone from your area will come along and offer suggestions.

Until then, why don't you look through the gallery threads and look at photos people have posted? I'm sure you'll see some things in there to get you started. Feel free to ask questions.

If the link below doesn't work, scroll up and click on gallery, that will take you there.

Here is a link that might be useful: texas gallery

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

If I were you I'd put a whole line of esperanza along that back fence. It's drought tolerant and blooms like mad.

• Bryan Scott
    12 years ago

Brian,
    I suggest you look at the City of Austin's Grow Green website (link below). You can sort plants and such by different things such as light, water requirements, ect.

There are many places here around Austin that has beds with many of these native shrubs, groundcover, trees, ect. One of them is the One Texas Center (COA's development office) place down at Barton Springs and 1st. They just installed a rain garden out by the street for rainwater runoff, and, their main entrance has new beds with native plants- both look really nice. Also, the botanical gardens down on Barton Springs Rd has a very attractice native plant setup you should check out before it gets too cold.

Hope this helps with some ideas. Right now it is looking like we are going to have another year of drought like we just went through, so chose your plants and shrubs wisely in case we are stuck with our once a week water restrictions on into next year.

Bryan

Here is a link that might be useful: COA Grow Green Website

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Have you been to Lady bird Johnson wildflower site to check out their plantings. Also Barton Springs Nursery and Natural Gardener has great garden to look at. When I lived in Down town by the river I had clay. I did do a lot of work bringing in compost to amend it. I had good luck with mock roses, greek pattern plants, oak leaf hydrangea
    Part shade: confederate jassimine, aristolochia elegans and gigantium, Rice plant, climbing rose in my shade, bamboo, lirope, plox,sleeping hibiscus (giant mexican turkscap) , shrimplant,

Sun: mexican oregano, mexican bird of paradise,tecoma sans,Flame acantha, Yuca, pavonia hastata, Opuntia cacanapa ellissiana....so much will do well in your place.

Groundcovers:- wandering jew combined with oxalis (unintentional but it worked well together

• blessed_garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These are good tips so farm thank you.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I just thought of something! You _MUST_ have at least one of these:

Autumn Sage:
    http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=SAGR4

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Sage Latin: Salvia greggii

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

All the salvias are incredible . How did I forget about them. Shame on me. Salvia madrensis is good for part shade to shade-, Black and blue salvia makes a great bed in the sun to part sun, Salvia regla likes sun with a little protection from afternoon sun is a gorgious fall and spring bloomer but it needs drainage and might not like your clay.. If you can plant it where it gets a slash of setting sun hitting it late october to light up the blooms. what a treat. The Mexican sages like lolly jackson are great performers and beautiful Salvia invulcrata also won't mind the clay and moisture. Salvia farenacia is good. Salvia Augusta duelberg is a stunning white salvia and it will take full sun. blue oak salvia is sweet in ful sun. So many salvias will fit your bill. And don't forget the Texas sages (not a salvia)for late summer color.Intense sun won't faze them and no water will not hurt them either.Salvia coccinea are anual salvias that will seed themselves in full shade and part sun. cedar salvias will seed themselves and form a groundcover slowly under cedar trees.

• voyageurs47
    10 years ago

I have salvias, knock-out roses, abelias, and plumbago. They are all flowering like cray cray right now. Good luck! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Diary of a Native Garden

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

The following guide from the City of Austin and Texas AgriLife Extension is an excellent resource for central Texas (and beyond).....

Here is a link that might be useful: Native & adapted landscape plants for central Texas