Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

remember this spring's zinnias?

plantmaven
12 years ago

I deadheaded them and just threw them in the flower bed.

Those seeds came up and are now blooming.

Two "crops" between June and Nov.

Comments (23)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

That is how I "plant" my zinnias as well, Kathy, and the rewards are breathtaking.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Wow, that is neat, will try that! And your Asters are gorgeous.

• texanjana
    12 years ago

I do the same thing! They look great with the asters.

• ladybugfruit
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! I too love the mix with asters!

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

Wow! They are gorgeous. I do that too, but mine were not as abundant as yours. Thank you for posting.

cynthia

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

I see more zinnia deadheading in my future! Nice job!

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

My Zinnias didn't even kick in until August. After that they really attracted butterflies and kept things from being totally brown even with thrips! The collection of "sticks" is a dormant aster that was attacked by thrips/heat. It has now come back.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pretty!

I saw so few butterflies this season.

I cut my hyacinth bean back last week. It was all bloomed out. I had not had one in many many years. I had forgotten how much i liked it.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

They are easy to grow and pretty. I'm hoping next year is better. We even got an early freeze this year!

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No freeze here....yet.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I love the zinnias! So pretty with the asters! I grew the white hyacinth bean vine in addition to the purple this year and loved them!

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

A white hyacinth bean sounds pretty. Where did you find it?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I got them in a trade PJ, want some seeds?

Pam

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Wow! Plantmaven Kathy and PJ, I absolutely adore the photos of your zinnias and other plants. I haven't been able to get zinnias to do nuttin' in my yard, but you're inspiring me to try again.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I'd love some white hyacinths! Is there anything you're looking for?
    Anyone want Zinnia seeds? I have a zillion of them.

Thanks Roselee, if I can grow em you certainly can :)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

PJ, you have all of those wonderful natives! What do you have a lot of that grows in shade to semi shade?

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Thanks PK, Salvia coccenia(sp?) aka tropical sage, pink turk's cap,columbine, ruellia nudiflora,side oats gramma grass, beauty berry, blue mist, native violets, non-native iris, rock rose, and wood ferns. The only non-aggressive spreader is the pink turk's cap and yellow columbine. Also, I only have a line of trees along the back fence not full-on deep shade. If you plant any of these plants except maybe the rock rose (easy to control with pulling) make sure you want them! I am really a lazy gardener. With the exception of edible,hybrid food plants I won't bother with fussy plants. I want plants that are full and healthy with some water and pruning back where needed with a line trimmer.

• bfff_tx
    12 years ago

Benary Giant Variety.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

Those are pretty and huge!

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! I thought mine were pretty big (the big, fluffy ones) but they were half that size!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Very pretty, I love zinnias. I had only one very large one, and I cannot remember the name of it. Seeds came from Park Seed and it is a large deep rose one. Very pretty, but the blooms were so large they caused the stem to fall over, so I had to prop them up. These seem to be holding their own.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful, I need to try them next year.