Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoenix7801

Ying Doon Moy has passed away :-(

phoenix7801
11 years ago

Just received word through the master gardener email that Ying Doon Moy has passed. He created the Red Dragon hibiscus, Moy ginger, Papaya "Pretty" though his crowning achievement was of course the Moy Grande Hibiscus which features 12 inch flowers. He will be missed in the gardening community.

Comments (9)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Joey, thanks for letting us know. He was best known for his hibiscus I guess, but I'll always remember him for the beautiful roses he hybridized. My favorite is Lotus rose.

I got to meet him at one of the San Antonio Botanical Garden plant sales. I was asking about his roses and one of the volunteers pointed him out to me. He was just nonchalently sitting on a curb taking it all in when I went over and thanked him for the beautiful plants he had bred.

If I got the story right SABG didn't know what a treasure they had when they first hired him fairly soon after he had immigrated from China.

Thank you Dr. Moy for who you are and what you did in the world of plant breeding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Lotus rose on HelpMeFind

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

I had a Lotus rose purchased from a nursery in Nacogdoches. The drought of 2011 got it - I would dearly love to find another. Does anyone know where this rose can be purchased? On Helpmefind, it does not give Dr. Moy credit for being the breeder of the rose. I had been told that Ray Ponton was the breeder. It is a wonderful rose and I would really love to have another - if anyone knows a source, I would love to know. I have a Moy Grande Hibiscus and love it - so nice to know who developed it.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Hi Judi! I dearly wish I could send cuttings of Lotus Rose to you, but would not want to risk sending chilli thrips with them. I will make inquiries to the volunteers at San Antonio Botanical Gardens to see it they would start some roses for their spring sale.

I think the reason HelpMeFind doesn't give Dr. Moy credit for breeding Lotus Rose is because it was never registered. I did mention that he was the breeder on the comments tab. I'll go ahead and put the photo of the plant label from SABG's rose garden so the fact will be known in case it ever becomes more widely distributed. It would be nice if someplace like Chamblees would pick it up, but I guess they'd have to find one first.

Here's some photos taken of Lotus Rose at SABG this July.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lotus Rose comments on HelpMeFind

• beachplant
    11 years ago

RIP Dr. Moy. Thank you for the wonderful ginger you developed. It is my favorite.
    Tally

• fireflyintexas
    11 years ago

What a shock to hear. I knew Dr. Moy and his wife when I worked as a volunteer at the San Antonio Botanical Garden as a Master Gardener. He was approachable, kind and funny. It was so sad when he moved, I believe, to Houston or Dallas?, I forget, and I missed seeing him occasionally in the testing garden area. He gave us so many wonderful plants.....We will miss you Dr. Moy. Rest well.
    Fireflyintexas

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    11 years ago

http://plantanswers.com/heroes/YingDoonMoy.html
    A little bit about Mr. Moy from plantanswers.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Joey, thank you very much for passing along the site with information about Mr. Moy's contributions to the plant world. According to the article he preferred to be addressed as Mr. rather than Dr..

I didn't know "Orange Frost" was bred by him. I wish his name would appear on all the plants he developed so we'd know.

Let the propagators for the SABG plant sales know that we're going to be looking for his plants come spring. I'd especially like to have his papaya variety that ripens in one season; that and Moy ginger -- plus Rosa Lotus that others have mentioned wanting. It's been compared to Belinda's Dream except in red.

Here is a link that might be useful: Direct link to Plant Answers about Mr. Moy

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It doesn't say in the link but I think he also had a papaya named Pretty. If anyone happens to swing by the gardens we have one in fruit at the moment. We have a new person in charge of the society greenhouse that grows the sale plants but ill pass peoples wants along to her.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It doesn't say in the link but I think he also had a papaya named Pretty. If anyone happens to swing by the gardens we have one in fruit at the moment. We have a new person in charge of the society greenhouse that grows the sale plants but ill pass peoples wants along to her.