Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyfox

Bringing Plants Indoors - Where to Overwinter?

mommyfox
15 years ago

Hey guys, I've got a bunch of different plants in pots. Some of them are newly rescued from the clearance racks. Where would you place these plants, if indeed you would bring them in at all?

Space Available:

Garage

Very limited amount of space with grow lights

Huge east facing window

Small west-facing window

Hanging hooks in north-facing window

Plants:

Plumeria

Small bougainvillea

Pot of Autumn Joy sedum

Pot of succulents such as aloe, Mother-of-Millions, Christmas sedum

Dwarf Pomegranate (clearance rescue)

Dwarf Bottlebrush (clearance rescue)

Geranium

Pothos

Massive hibiscus

Pot of nasturtium

Whaddya think guys? Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• mommyfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I should note that if something goes into the garage, it is highly likely I will not remember to water it. So if they need water in their dark, cool spot in the garage, please tell me!!!

Also I forgot one. I have a Crimson Queen Japanese Maple that is badly stressed from the heat. It dropped almost all its leaves early. It has maybe one branch with leaves right now that lasted long enough to actually turn red. Would it help the plant to bring it indoors and pamper it over the winter, maybe pot it up to a size larger pot, or woudl it be better off being allowed to go dormant and rest?

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    15 years ago

The Crimson Queen - I would get that in the ground ASAP, so its roots can grow over the winter. If you're going to keep it in a decorative pot, I'd put it in a larger pot then overwinter it outside in a protected area.

Then here's my take on your other plants:
    Plumeria - frost-free but dormant - your garage if it's frost free
    Small bougainvillea - frost-free but dormant - your garage if it's frost free
    Pot of Autumn Joy sedum - outside
    Pot of succulents such as aloe, Mother-of-Millions, Christmas sedum - west facing window or grow lights
    Dwarf Pomegranate (clearance rescue) - outdoors but protected
    Dwarf Bottlebrush (clearance rescue) - I'm not familiar with the care for this
    Geranium - frost-free but dormant - your garage if it's frost free
    Pothos - north window
    Massive hibiscus - not familiar with its care - but I think you'd want to give it as much light as possible and keep it growing - grow lights?
    Pot of nasturtium - outdoors but protected from heavy freezes - maybe bring into the garage then.

JMO.

Lin

• harrellpn
    15 years ago

get The Dwarf Bottle Brush(Little Johnny) in the ground try not to disturb the root system to much, they are cold hardy here in San Antonio, I have never had to cover mine and the roots will be able to establish themselves in the ground.

• mommyfox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not in San Antonio, though - I'm in DFW. It's quite a difference! The guy at Calloway's suggested overwintering it indoors before planting it next spring, since it wouldn't have time to establish before the first frost, which could be anytime now.