Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perylene

Wildflower ID please, possibly greenthread?

Perylene
12 years ago

There's an empty lot near me that's repeatedly mowed flat, so when I spotted this single plant in August I dug it up and moved it to my garden. Anybody have any idea what it is? I've been looking through the Lady Bird Johnson site and my best guess is a Stiff greenthread, maybe Thelesperma filifolium var. filifolium. I've noticed that the buds droop downward before they straighten upright and open. The bloom below opened today, but it's not as full as the two previous flowers last month. Anyway, I'm hoping I can get some seeds before a freeze hits (if this is an annual), but I think this plant's running out of time.

plant

bud

flower

Comments (15)

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

Coreopsis lanceolata? Texas tickseed?

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Coreopsis

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I'm guessing coreopsis too

• Perylene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the help! I didn't realize how closely Coreopsis and Thelesperma resemble each other. The only thing that throws me is that the buds seriously droop until right before they open, and the leaves don't look look like the Coreopsis lanceolata photos that I can find -- but, I haven't grown any Coreopsis before, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. If it produces any seeds, I'll see if I can get a clue from there. Really wish I had taken a photo of the previous flowers; this last one's a little funky, like it didn't develop all the way. But, it's a cute little flower either way. :D Thanks everyone!

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

Maybe it's not C. lanceolata but a type of C. verticillata (see link below). Eventhough I am not certain about its id, I have it growing in my garden so I'm familiar with it. It's a drought tolerant seasonal annual. It comes and goes during the year. I like it a lot because it's not invasive and stays unnoticed until it blooms. It's definetely a keeper.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: C. verticillata

• Perylene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My mystery plant stayed green all winter, put on a lot of growth last couple of months, and now it's producing quite a few buds and blooms. The flowers starting opening last week. It didn't produce any seeds last year, but maybe I'll have better luck this year. Those yellow flowers really pop from a distance!

• sienna_98
    11 years ago

I love how soft that foliage looks and then that pop of yellow. Great plant!

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

Looks like Greenthread to me!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I would guess green thread. Can I get some seed from you. It is a different than the thelasperma that I have.

• Perylene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No problem, I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. With this many flowers, hopefully there will be some seeds this time around.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

OH goody. I have a lot of native seeds . I have my email listed on my page. Email me and I will send you a list.
    -Mara

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I'm guessing it's Painted Indian since it looks similar to what i'm seeing in vacant lots, on country roads, and anyplace seeds seen to land. Here's some pics...

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty flower!!

• Perylene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm seeing image results for Indian Blanket or Indian Paintbrush. I've grown Indian Blanket (Gaillardia pulchella) off and on for years, so I know it's not that.

Indian Paintbrush I haven't grown, but from the pictures I've seen, it's not that either. Well, here's a couple of additional links to further confuse identification:

http://www.catnapin.com/WildFlowers/Flowers-Y/yoDaisyRound.htm

http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/bio406d/images/pics/ast/thelesperma_filifolium.htm

I'll have to do some more reading. It seems like it's easier to identify the plant by the super-thin leaves and its unbranching, single-stem-per-flower form than the actual flowers, especially since Coreopsis and Thelesperma look so similiar. I honestly never expected a simple wildflower to get so complicated! :D I'll take some more pictures and go from there.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Here is a photo in the LBJ wildflower database that looks like yours. and surprise surprise it is Thelesperma filifolium var filifolium, complete with downturned buds. If you type in just the Thelesperma, you can check out all the different thelesperma. They seem fairly variable even within the species

Here is a link that might be useful: Thelesperma filifolium var filifolium

• texann
    11 years ago

Yes, it is definitely greentread which is an early bloomer in the spring. Most of the coreopsis (there are several) bloom later. The Indian blanket aka fire wheel is a gallardia and has been really abundant in central Texas this year, blooming for the past month. Most of the coreopsis are just starting to bloom along with the black eyed Susan, Mexican hat and horsemint aka lemon beebalm (monarda citriodora).

This has been a wonderful spring for the wildflowers in Central Texas although many bloomed early. Now that we are finally getting some rain again, hopefully the season will last a bit longer.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Guess the color had me~very similar golden color. Such a 'little pretty' could visit(or stay!)in my yard anytime~~uninvited guests are welcome. ;o)