Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmtx

Which Pecan Tree variety for landscape use?

rmtx
11 years ago

We have a large backyard in the suburban Dallas area where I'm considering planting a Pecan Tree. I'm not sure which variety would be most suitable... Nut production is not a factor, I'm just looking for a tough healthy variety that will eventually grow into a beautiful majestic Pecan tree.

I've seen several varieties available (caddo, kiowa, native, etc) and am not sure which variety would best meet this purpose. Would appreciate any guidance, thanks!

Comments (3)

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

I've been wondering about why the branches break since I have a mature pecan tree and lost a pretty large branch this summer when it fell onto the roof of the house! Thank you for prompting me to look for an answer.

The first answer I found comes from Dr. Jerry Parsons with the Texas Ag Extension office in San Antonio...or at least from his PLANTanswers website. Evidently, it's not an inherent problem with the wood or branch structure but damage to the branches and possibly excessive nut production that causes the branches to break. I've attached a link to the article.

I think the best thing to do, no matter what variety you choose, is to make sure that the main branches that you leave are situated "properly" and will grow into the form you want. I know that was NOT done with mine. There are branches that I want to remove to keep them from falling on the house, but I can't because they're helping to support other (nicer) branches.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: PLANTanswers

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I heard a radio garden guru state that pecan trees planted outside of their native habitat do better because within it they have too many pests and diseases plus they take a lot of water to grow large so those are things you might want to consider. This site describes some of the pests and various varieties:

http://www.bartlett.com/resources/Plant-Health-Care-Recommendations-for-Pecan-in-Texas.pdf

There were two pecan trees already here when we moved to our present home so I don't know the varieties, but one of them was constantly defoliated because of web worms and the other variety not as much. We cut down the more susceptable tree. Over the years I found that as long as I let plenty of paper wasps remain they pretty much take care of the web worms and the aphids which are another common pest that are especially annoying because they exude sticky honey dew which then grows a black mold that covers all the plants and whatever furniture under the tree.

One thing I do like about pecan trees is that they leaf out late giving the plants under them a good start in the spring. Also you will have lots of squirrels visit your yard. They were so hungry this year they were eating green pecans and not one ripe nut fell from the tree, but plenty of shells did which stains brick paths, etc. if not swept away. When there are ripe pecans the squirrels bury them so I have lots of little trees coming up in the soft soil of flower pots and flower beds.

Sorry if this sounds negative. They are beautiful trees, but there are things of which to be aware, especially if your property is not large.

Here's some recommendations for yard trees taken from the site linked below.

"Non-grafted seedling trees make the best yard trees, though their nuts will be small and they could take up to 10 years to bear. If a grafted tree is planted, it should be a small-nut variety such as Caddo for the areas of East Texas, the Gulf Coast, and the High Plains. Sioux should be planted in the drier climates of Central, South, and West Texas since it is less likely to suffer over-cropping stress in August and September when the trees greatest water requirements occur."

Hopefully you'll get more responses, but if not you might try posting your question on the GW tree forum.

Wishing you all the best in your tree planting venture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best pecan trees inTexas

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

The native seedling is most often recommended when a pecan is wanted just for shade/beauty/structure. Several grafted ones have strong branch structure and some do not. Should read and study about any proposed grafted pecan to insure good tree structure.