Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for wild grapes.

Posted by paxetamor 7b Abilene TX (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 15:34

Looking for cuttings, grapevine root, seeds or seedlings of Sand Grape-Sugar Grape (Vitis rupestris) and Mustang Grape (Vitis mustangensis). Thank you in advance, Pax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for wild grapes.

If I see any more of the mustang grape pop up in my yard I'll try to dig it up for you.

But it won't be until next spring. :)

o

Hey Pax -

I have both wild muscadine and mustang on my property. I won't know which is which till the spring, though, as they've lost their leaves (I do have a known patch of muscadine under my clothesline).

Since you want the mustang, I'll have to wait till spring to verify that's what I'm digging up, but I'd be glad to send you some. Or if you don't mind not knowing for sure, I'll dig some up now (I have some that if I don't dig up for you I'll be pulling up, as they're in an area for a new bed I'm preparing.

Just message me your address and wants :).

Lin

o

The mustang grapes grow everywhere, well at least farther south. You might find them along side the roads or choking a tree to death in a wooded area near you if they are like they are down south of you. Those are the ones you see wrapped around the fences that have that grape leave look. I have seen them with a trunk that was over 4 inches across. So if you run across any thing that looks like a vine with grape leaves it most likely will be mustang grapes. They ripen around August. and make very good jelly. But then so do those Cactus pear apples.

o

Hey Pax - can you send me your email address? I received your email but have no way to reply :(

Thanks!

Lin
barkingdogwoods (at) gmail (dott) com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here