Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prao_gw

Where can I get or buy fruit trees?

prao
16 years ago

Hi, I am looking to plant some tropical fruit trees in our yard. I am looking for wax jambu rose apple, white indian guava, sugar apple, lychee, banana or celeste fig, and carrie or Nam Doc Mai mango. Can anyone please point me to nurseries, local or on-line, that would have these at reasonable prices? Would local nurseries be able to get them if I was to ask? Would this be a good time to plant these trees in the backyard for our weather in Houston?

Thanks

PR

Comments (15)

• vanslix
    16 years ago

Try RCW. I know that they carry figs and the pineapple guava. I don't know about the other ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: RCW Nurseries

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I would suggest that for most of the varieties you are asking about....
    1. I would wait til closer to spring.
    2. Many of these sub or tropical fruit trees will not survive outside unless protected for at least parts of the winter.

Google pine island nursery to find many if not all of the trees you are looking for. I just googled a nam doc mai mango and it was on the first page. A very extensive tropical fruit tree nursery in south florida. I have not used them but seeing as they deal with commercial growers they can't stay in business too long before their reputation would be mud. Growers are a ornery lot when you don't provide the quality promised.

It may seem expensive and maybe a few local nurseries may have some of what you are looking for but I doubt all of them combined will have all that you are asking for. If it weren't for the shipping the prices are not too bad overall. Shipping will always kill you with containered plants.

Anyway good luck and happy growing. David
    P.S. Thanks for reminding me of my first passion discovered about the plant world, the incredible world of tropical fruit growing and eating :).

• Yadda
    16 years ago

Almost all of your choices will be available in Jan and Feb. at the Urban Harvest fruit tree sale and the Master Gardener fruit tree sales in Harris County, Fort Bend County and Galveston. I'm not sure about the white guava and the rose apple. The Urban Harvest availability list will be available soon. Their sale is first and largest. The sale is Jan 19, 2008 Bring a wagon and friends if you plan on getting everything. Check out is the most tedious part, but the article in today's Chronicle states they are working to make checkout better. I like the Fort Bend Sale. Parking is not a problem and their selection is almost identical. Tree Search Farms is the vendor for all of these sales. If you attend their demonstration sit in the back so you can be one of the first in line at the sale. Yadda out.

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Caldwell Nursery may have what you are looking for...lychee, mango, bananas, etc.

Caldwell Nursery

Kt

• scottamuss
    16 years ago

Ditto for urban harvest and master gardener sales.

For the figs, just get some cuttings from someone that has a variety you like, they are one of the easiest things to grow from a cutting.

• susan75023
    16 years ago

Hi, I was enjoying a persimmon tree because of its beautiful leaves and unusual fruits but as the fruits developed, I had visitors. Found out that rats in the suburbs love fruit, too. Oh, and possums. We put out traps and caught plenty of each. The tree is gone. I didn't like the rustling noises that came from across the yard as I weeded. Our yard is tiny, however. The city advised us that the rats, though seldom seen any other time, live under decks. The neighbors all keep the alley pretty clean so it is not like rubbish in stacked up five feet tall, either. Yuk. A dog would take care of the problem, I am sure.

• RMorecook_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

Visit Willis Orchards they specialize in this. Just north of Conroe
    http://www.willisorchards.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Willis Orchards

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

The Harris Country Master Gardener Sale is January 10th. Bear Creek Extension Office.

• jun_
    13 years ago

JRN's nursery has all of that. it's on Alief Clodine

Here is a link that might be useful: jrn

• julia42
    13 years ago

I was just at Joshua's Nursery in Pearland and noticed that they have an extensive selection of unusual fruit trees. I was not looking for fruit trees, so I didn't take note of the specific varieties (other than noticing they weren't the standard key limes and meyer lemons you see at the Garden Centers). You might give them a call.

• julia42
    13 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd correct my earlier mistake, since it's fruit tree season...

I meant to say Joseph's Nursery in Pearland (not Joshua's).

I went by today to browse and only got through about 1/4 of their tropical fruit tent (since I had my kids with me). I saw carambola, custard apple, june plum, dragonfruit, avocados (several varieties), mangos (several varieties, including Nam Doc Mai), curry leaf, jaboticaba, jujube... And like I said, that was only about 1/4 of the tent. What a great place! Good prices too.

• fst061
    13 years ago

We live in North Texas and I do appreciate any help with locating nurseries or growers who provide semi-dwarf fruit trees (apple, pears, pomegranates, plums etc).

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

• rlang4_gmail_com
    12 years ago

TexasGuava.com Royse City, TX

Dragon Fruit, Pomegranite, Kumquat, Persimmons, asian pears and much more.

• maryhawkins99
    12 years ago

Womacks. Google them, they have a good website. Their products are well adjusted to north Texas. Email them, tell them where you live, they'll let you know if you're making good choices

• mughalcl22_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Jrn nursery they have it all they got 2 location