Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaskelley

anyone grow jasmine (winter or confederate)?

texaskelley
12 years ago

I just planted winter jasmine and confederate jasmine in hanging baskets. Since I am new to the whole "plants grow between November and March" phenomenon that happens here in zone 8b/9a (I hail from Missouri where things freeze and die in Winter) I figured I'd ask advice here in case I needed to do anything to overwinter these plants. They are small vines (originally in 3" pots), so I'm hoping they can handle the Houston winter OK. If not, should I bring them inside? Cover them?

My kitchen is already full of plants so if I need to bring them in it's no problem.

On a slightly related note, I also have a very small tea tree plant I was planning on overwintering inside this year because of its size. Is there any reason I can't have it inside one winter and outside once its bigger?

Again, if I sound like a complete idiot, this is my first winter down here; I am already freaked out that it hasn't snowed yet and most of my plants are still outside! (I am happy to still be wearing sandals most days, however).

Thanks for answering silly questions,

AOK