Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mickeyperreaud

oleander Society

mickeyperreaud
11 years ago

Does anyone know of any members of the Oleander Society or someone that is growing oleander as a hobby?

Regards,

Mickey

Comments (5)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Jim Potts, is your guy. He lives in Aransas Pass Tx. He has been growing oleanders, and developing new plants for the past 6 years. He use to post regular on this forum, I understand that he has been only growing oleanders under the guidance of Mr Turner. Mr Turner has turned over his nursery to his daughter. If I were you I would call Turners Nursery in Corpus Christi, and speak to his daughter she is a book of knowledge. Every Oleander I buy from Lowes has on the pot grown Turner Nursery. Barbra

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I live in Galveston, aka the Oleander City. I am a member of the local oleander society and grow oleanders in my yard.
    What do you want to know?
    I never buy oleanders, they grow like weeds from cuttings.
    Tally HO!

• mickeyperreaud
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beachplants,
    Hi, I am so glad to finally be getting a hold of other members of the oleander society!!!
    I live in Arizona and it is impossible to get any named oleander.
    I am trying to upgrade my collection.
    I got to talk to Jim in Connecticut and received a wealth of knowledge!
    I'm looking for cuttings to buy but now is the wrong time of the year. I hope to be able to make it this spring to the oleander festival if I can get my husband to do it.
    Thank you for getting back to me. I have tried so heard to get my gardening friends here to get growing names oleander. It's always nice to give someone a lovely tree. Doubles are my favorites but the old oleander are so interesting too.
    Regards,
    Mickey Perreaud
    Cave Creek Arizona

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I will mail you all the cuttings you want in the spring. They grow everywhere here. I`ll dig out my Oleander book and drive around town and take cuttings, most of the pics are here on the island. Any particular color? double blooms? Variegated?
    They are super, super easy from cuttings and there are hundreds of varieties on the island. Not to mention all the hybrids as the seeds drift and sprout like crazy too.
    Remind me once bloom season starts. There is no reason to pay a lot of money for oleanders. They grow fast. You pay postage and I will send you as many as you want.
    Tally HO

• marilynhershey
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am looking for a white oleander that is resistant to freezing temperatures. I planted 20 as a hedge and there is only one that is still green (after our unusually cold winter and several freezes and snow). The others must be cut down to the ground. The one that remains green is also white but has a narrower leaf than all the others. Nurseries here often to not label the particular variety. I would appreciate any help on finding a cold resistant white oleander. Marilyn, Carlsbad, New Mexico. ladymur7@yahoo.com