Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

I Have Lemons!

cynthianovak
10 years ago

After 5 long years my cutting has about 10 large lemons and I want to pick them at optimum lusciousness. Can anyone tell me how to know? Is it like apples, when they fall off the stem into my hand? I'. trying not to twist or tug but one is already "lemon yellow." Any advice? c

Comments (10)

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Love having my own lemons. I have a few on my Meyer lemon plant. Here's the way they look now. I am probably picking them one day next week.

• southofsa
    10 years ago

The longer they're on the tree the better they get and they store better on the tree than your fridge. The way it was described to me was that first they're yellow, and then they're "deep yellow" which didn't make a lick of sense. But when I watched that's exactly what happened. But you can start picking in the earlier stages too.

Lisa

PS. Congrats on your harvest!

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both! My meyer...lone lemon on lone tree looks different and still deep green. these must be another type because they are so much earlier. Or, because the other is on a younger tree bought last spring. I will leave them as long as I can resist....smiles. It is so exciting!

• ruthz
    10 years ago

I bought mine in 2011 at Marshall's Grain and only remember that it was labeled Meyer Lemon.
    I think I got 2 lemons last year. This year it had about 7 or 8. I think I need to put it in a larger pot.

How do you overwinter yours and what size pot do you use?

• junegreen
    10 years ago

I have had my Myers lemon for about 5 years now. Used to haul it into the green house/shed but kept it on the open porch on the south side of the house last winter. Used a string of the little Christmas lights and kept them on most of the time and threw a blanket and a sheet over it when it got really cold. I have 30 lemons on my tree this year. Biggest crop i've ever had. Love it.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow! 30! I drag mine into the garage and drag it out when it's warm enough. Just had a new garage door installed with a row of clear glass windows for winter light...smiles.

Mine is in a BIG plastic pot and the tree stand about 8 ft tall.
    I use a bagged organic citrus fertilizer that I bought a Ace.
    I have 5 potted kumquats and 2 potted meyer lemons. 1 lemon is on its 2nd year but some rodent chewed all the green off the branches in the greenhouse last year. It's come back and fortunately it was own root. Yes, I do know that I am in zone 7b and yes, I am denial about this as much as I am in denial about how many bulbs should fit in a pot. blissful sigh

Any suggestions for the rat problem in the greenhouse> they ate bougies last year too. Coffee ground will keep squirrels out of the pots in the yard, but in the GH it's easy to reach leaves.

Sorry for rambling. I really do not want to put out poison but with a dog in the yard that will trump cats I am hoping for another solution.
    c

• lavernialadybug
    10 years ago

My meyer lemon and key lime have been great producers. I harvest the fruit and "zest" them and save the zest in small jars in the freezer. The next step is to juice the fruit and put it in ice trays. Each section holds about 2 T juice. After it is frozen, I pop them into freezer bags. Works great!

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

great tips lavernialadybug. how do you use your frozen lemon juice? thanks
    c

• lavernialadybug
    10 years ago

you can use the lemon juice like fresh in pies, cakes, etc. I do the same with my limes (key lime pie)

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you! Do you wait until the lemons easily release from the stems? c

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting