Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turks Cap from seed

Posted by ruthz DFW/TX (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 17:48

I just gathered a seed pod from my variegated Turk's Cap.
I've never tried growing them from seed.
I know your supposed to plant them while the seed is fresh.
If you've grown them from seed please share your experience.
I really like the variegated one and would like to have more, but it hasn't gotten very big in the 3 years I've had it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turks Cap from seed

I think I planted mine in the Spring but they germinated easily. I would plant some now. We have a week of nice warm weather and bring them in for the bad freezes this winter and If they don't come up , let them stratify outside and then water them again in the spring. Plant some in the spring just to be safe. That is how I cover the bases.

o

Ruth, if you're trying to get more variegated turk's cap, then I think you'll have to do root divisions or cuttings. I don't know that the variegation comes through the seeds. I've heard that for pink turk's cap you need to propagate vegetatively...

Lin

o

• Posted by ruthz DFW/TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 16:02

Yes I would like more variegated Turk's Cap (red flowers)
I like it even if it's not blooming.
I guess I'll just skip planting the seeds.
I wanted to try layering, but it has only gotten 1 main stem for the past 2 summers.
I have a regular red one and a pink one, but they get much taller and fuller, especially the pink one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here