Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittanyw_tx

First frost in DFW

brittanyw
10 years ago

It's predicted to get down to 27 in McKinney on Tuesday! Are you ready? Excited? Dismayed?

Comments (12)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

They're predicting 30 around Addison. Not ready, but made space in the garage today for a few tender things that will be put back outside in a day or two. Otherwise, ready and glad for the seasonal changes this will bring.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I'm not ready, but also made garage space. I like to de-bug before I bring plants inside the house.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Comes the time of year when we see if we are gamblers. I hate to take the beautiful tropical inside when it took them all year to get this lovely and it will be nice for at least a week after this frost. That said, this is what I've done and plan to do. Gotta plant some bulbs too!

Hauled in some this weekend, digging up others to leave in the garden in pots, but ready to haul into the greenhouse. Kunquats in pots are covered with fruit, but not ripe. Guess I'll drag them to the east side of the house and toss a sheet over them. BTW I was told we should get some protection because the trees are covered in leaves and that should hold down the warmth.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

A friend came Sat morning and cut back all the brugs then
    the older grand kids got started on everything else, they got most of my stuff cut back and mulched.
    They also brought in all the small potted things, and helped move stuff around in the garage to make room for the big pots. Only have 2 of those this year. PHEW! That took the whole day to get finished. Those kids worked so hard and did everything I asked them to do. It was getting dark and I needed to come inside and just sit with an ice pack on my knee! We called it quits around 5PM.

Hubby and I went out on Sunday and finished the last few things that needed to be cut and mulched.

Our Son came this morning and moved the big pots and brought the bird baths to the garage. I swept it out after he left. Everything is all tucked in and we can still navigate the garage!!

I managed to get 2 of the hoses un done today and will get the other 2 tomorrow.

So, I'm as ready as I'm gonna get. There are several pots of geraniums that I'm just gonna let go. I'll get new ones off the dead rack next spring. :)

Poor begonias are on their own for this round. :( I usually cut them back and root the cuttings to plant next spring but that's not happening this year.

My yard looks so empty now.

I hope everyone was able to move or protect everything that that needs that kind of attention.

• ritholtz
    10 years ago

Other than moving pots inside, do we need to anything else related to sprinkler, faucets etc..,

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

ritholtz, I remove the hoses from the faucets, cover the faucets with a plastic grocery bag, then place a 5 gallon bucket over all that, put a brick on top of the bucket. Not very sophisticated, but we've done this for 45 years, never a problem.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

ritholtz,

If I had it in me I'd run out and put the Styrofoam things over the spickets But for one night I'm not going to worry about it. 2 different plumbers have told me our kind don't need any added protection, but we still do it anyway. When it starts to get colder and stay colder longer we'll get out there and put them on. Other than that we don't do anything else. We've never winterized the sprinkler system.

Its always a good idea to make sure everything is watered well, but we've had plenty of rain recently so I'm not concerned this time.

• ritholtz
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update. I am not doing anything other than moving pots inside garage and switching off sprinkler system. My rain sensor for sprinkler system also went off. Not sure if it checks temperature as well.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I applauded myself for getting everything moved to the garage and cold frame and completely forgot about my two plumeria trees that I left leaned up against the back porch to allow the latex to quit dripping. They look ok so far and the lowest my thermometer went (that I saw) was 34. Fingers are crossed.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

It froze here as our exposed canna lilies, tomatoes, melons, hibiscus, and scarlet sage have "melted" a bit, but those next to the house or other heat store were unscathed. So, couldn't have been below freezing for very long. That should bode well for those plumeria up against the porch.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

It was 26 at my house this morning, so everything not protected is history. My brugs will not be pretty for the cutting ceremony, but should still have some decent cuttings.

• Gretchen W.
    10 years ago

I put sheets over the pots that were exposed and put other small plants on the front porch and covered with a blanket. Everything was fine.
    I am going to enjoy my weekend as the Formula One races are this weekend in Austin. Will (hubby) his best and only friend Rob came from SLC to attend the races with Will and son Aaron are all gone.
    Me I am not staying put. I will have to make out my list of what I want to accomplish this weekend.
    I will work in the yard to clean up a bit and put plants away in my garden shed and hopefully find the Blow Up Turkey this weekend as well.