Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaybay89

New to gardening in Dallas, TX. I need help!

kaybay89
11 years ago

Hello all,

I'm new to gardening, and in the next few weeks I'm planning on building a raised bed for a vegetable garden. What I'm hoping to find out here is what kind of veggies I can grow in mid-December throughout the winter? I've been wanting my own veggie garden for years, and now I'm finally going to do it :) I'd love some advice on what to grow! :)

Thank you!
Kailey

Comments (9)

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

Carrots! And (I think) lettuce and cabbage. And soon you can plant onions too. You'll get LOTS of ideas here.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I grow herbs, parsley and cilantro in winter.

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

OOOH! Cilantro! I grew that in the spring this year and it bolted like crazy! Maybe I'll throw some seeds out now. Too bad you can't get all the ingredients for salsa to be ready at the same time!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Chervil , mitsuna , arugala, chives, bunching onions, onions (january), strawberries, Chinese cabbage, tatsoi, kale, especially dinosaur kale, siberian kale. I just love that stuff and there is a chance it will grow through the summer, chard, brocoli rabe, sugar snap peas. Maybe a little late for the pea but plant again in january. Some of these may need a frost row cover if it gets cold. I find the row cover helps them not slow down their growth when the cold spells come through.

note**** I am in Austin and we are a bit warmer than you. I mulch thick with alfalfa. and if it gets down to 12, I double my frost cover. Hmmmmm. Note to self, get my row cover poles out there.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

cauliflower, I tossed out dill and parsley seeds this week. Probably late. arugula is wonderful in winter...to bitter in summer so this is a great time. Radishes...beets too.

• dfw_gardener
    11 years ago

Over winter, I've planted

Sugar snap peas

kale

spinach

With uneven sucess.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Ornamental kale plants are available to most nurseries and big box stores in six packs. That's what I plant for winter greens to eat. Have never tried them from seeds and it's a little late now for planting seeds, but little plants will do fine.

• Christian
    11 years ago

I guess depending on the winter we get, you may be able to plant some stuff now and get something. I have cabbage, turnips, spinach, collards all growing very well now. I think its too late for lettuce, since it cant take the cold as much.

Here is a link that might be useful: check out my blog

• FarmingtonFarmski
    11 years ago

Below is a link to a pretty comprehensive list of varieties that do well here in DFW. It also includes recommended planting dates. The pdf is from the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension office in Fort Worth. It's a good starting point. I personally plant some heirloom varieties along with some of the recommended varieties from this list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Varieties for North Central Texas (pdf)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH