Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

I have worms--I'm so happy!

Redthistle
15 years ago

No, not THOSE kind of worms. :-) I have some big fat earthworms. This is like finding out you're pregnant when you want to be! This is better than finding a $300 60-inch flat screened fancy TV for sale at Circuit City.

I thought I would never have earthworms. This is my 8th year here, and I've not seen any in my back beds ever. There are some spots in my yard where nothing grows, not even weeds.--That's how bad my soil-over-caliche is. I didn't think worms could live in MY yard.

This spring, I mulched my back beds and today I went into those beds and scraped back the mulch around each plant to apply compost. I found three fat worms that were at least 4-4-1/2 inches long. Big healthy suckers! No wonder my plants look okay despite the drought.

I need kudos!!!! This is a big event in the life of a lowly gardener.

Comments (14)

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Well, I am happy for you. I get stingy with my earthworms whenever someone comes to dig up a plant from my yard. The plant they are welcome to, the worms stay here....LOL>

• debndal
    15 years ago

Congratulations! Keep mulching and composting and you'll get more and more. I'm with Carrie. When I find an earthworm on the patio or sidewalk after a rain or we water, I throw them back in the garden so they won't dry up. I'm very protective of mine too.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

They are great to find in the garden ⺠Kudos to you for creating an earthworm habitat!!!

• beachplant
    15 years ago

I'm so jealous. All of our worms drowned. Mom is buying me worms for Christmas.
    Tally HO!

• shebear
    15 years ago

Earthworms mean you're treating the soil correctly. Keep up the good work. I've been doing organic for years now and whenever I dig I find tons of huge worms.

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

Isn't funny what gets us gardeners excited or protective?

Congratulations on your gardening triumph!

• austinchilepepper
    15 years ago

That is good news! I also live in Austin, and my backyard is 4-6 inches of topsoil over limestone bedrock near 183 & 290. I don't think I have any earthworms. I want some, though. I'm thinking of transplating some from my worm bin to my raised garden bed. 4-inch fat worms? Wow, the ones I got from Petsmart only get to an inch and a quarter, tops, and they're skinny.

BTW, if you find a $300 60-inch flat screened fancy TV for sale at Circuit City, please let me know, I'll happily BUY you some worms, hokay?!

KUDOS!!!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

{{gwi:79147}}Before and After Lawn

My house sits on top of limestone rubbles. I have to admit that I bought worms from worm grower somewhere and put worms in various spots 2 years ago. Apparently, it worked. I have earthworms everywhere now. I had absolutely zero earthworm when I moved into the house in 2005.

Here's what I think helped the most...

Organic program. I use organic fertilizer. I have st augustine lawn where I mow at 4 inches. That probably made things much more favorable for worms. Ground is a lot cooler and stay moist longer. I water deeply every 2 weeks. Absolutely no chemical pesticide at all or at least use the least toxic possible if necessary. Not sure which product so you'd have to do a bit of researching. I mainly use beneficial nematodes for pest control.

I think earthworms make a huge difference for improving soil. top 4 inches are very nice till you hit rocky part.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I didn't have any either and I added tons of compost and composted manure to the beds and have lots of them now. They make me happy too.

• austinchilepepper
    15 years ago

I suppose I have to wait for the weather to warm back up before putting any worms outside?

It actually SNOWED last night in Austin! Granted, almost all of it melted once it reached the ground. But it was nice to get some precipitation, finally!

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

Well done, Lou! Your lawn is beautiful. See my new post. I've got questions!

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Lou, your yard looks wonderful.--I didn't see the photos in the e-mail I got of your post.

I'm glad there are others who appreciate worms. I really thought I'd never have any.

I also use organic techniques, that is when I don't have other people trying to sneak in pesticides and herbicides. Really.

My contractor brought in Seven Dust to sprinkle around my house and the guy who mows my front yard secretly sprayed my brick sidewalk with Round Up.

Both of them know I'm an organic gardener, and both know I wasn't thrilled, especially my contractor who helped me scoop up the Seven Dust he put down.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Be glad that your contractor did not use Sevin pesticide for the lawn. That would wipe out earthworm population in a blink! Probably the most toxic pesticide you can buy if you want to eradicate everything on your property.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

I caved on the Roundup and amdro but whoo whee would I be ticked but big on that seven dust!!! PJ