Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_geranium

Best variety of Boxwood?

red_geranium
16 years ago

Need a variety that will comfortably take year-round full Texas sun. The ones I have planted under deciduous trees are doing just fine. The ones I just spotted at Home Depot say "part sun". any suggestions? thank you.

Comments (7)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Be sure and smell box wood in full sun at the nursery before you buy any. Some people think they smell like cat urine in full sun. It's best to test for yourself before planting them and regretting it. I saw the same box woods (common ones that are in a lot of places)in part shade and full sun at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens.PJ

• mommyfox
    16 years ago

Hmm, maybe THAT'S why my side garden is stinky ... Maybe it's not cats at all! Then again, could still be cats. We've got a bunch of feral ones.

If you want free boxwoods, red_geranium, I have a ton you can have, if you want to give them a shot. They're all in full sun, healthy, I just don't want them there. I'm tired of boxwoods.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

My poor neighbor was doing everything to "stop the cats". She was amazed and sad to find out it was her boxwoods by the front door. I would keep them away from windows and doors for sure. PJ

• denisew
    16 years ago

I just planted a small boxwood out by my pond in part shade. The label said it is the "wintergreen" variety. I have not planted boxwoods before because others I see have their tips turn brown in the winter and I figured this would survive the winter. But, I had no idea they smelled like cat pee! I knew the Tam Junipers stink, but not boxwoods. I used to work for EDS in Plano years ago and they had those planted in some of the medians. When I came to a stop sign (especially in warm weather) I kept smelling cat pee and it took me awhile to finally figure out it was the junipers. I might need to replace my boxwood with a clarissa holly or something else. I do not want cat pee stinky bushes in my yard! Glad I only paid about $3 for this one! I'm not out a bunch of money.

• mrijmr
    8 years ago

I live in the Boston area and am movimg to Heath. I love Boxwood cat pea and all. They really smell worse than my 2 cats. I would like to know which variety of dwarf boxwood live happily in Heath and surrounds. My preference is for manicured hedges. Please advise.

• mrijmr
    8 years ago

PS from Boston. Flowering Pear trees are even nastier.