Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I want a full sized potted Christmas tree

Posted by ann_in_houston z9 Houston (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 18:58

I live in Houston and I tried one about 10 or 12 years ago but I don't see them advertised anywhere. Does anyone know where to get one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I want a full sized potted Christmas tree

We bought a blue tipped juniper several years ago at a local nursery that specialized in 'Texas friendly' plants and replanted it in a pretty decorative pot. After having the pot tip over many times in wind, we planted it in ground. It's still beautiful! We didn't specifically look for an advertised Christmas Tree, we just went tree shopping, there was a huge selection of 25 to 50 gallon pots.

I know that Douglas firs grow down around the coast outdoors. Can they survive in Houston outside?

o

I really do not think Douglas firs grow on the TX coast. In the mts maybe. It must be something else.

o

Douglas-fir grows on the coast in the Pacific Northwest, but I don't think they'll grow on the Gulf coast. Eastern red cedar used to be considered the traditional southern Christmas tree. They are tough native trees that could probably survive in a pot, or you could grow other types of juniper, like blue point juniper as mentioned above. The Christmas tree farms around here in east Texas seem to usually grow Virginia pine and spruce pine which are also native to the south. I've even seen Leyland cypress trimmed into Christmas trees.

o

Oh, I thought these were Doug firs...we took pictures because these 'Christmas' trees were huge and everywhere in Port Aransas.

Photobucket

o

I think those are Norfolk pines.

o

oops :-)

o

Norfolk pines, they even survived Ike but not freeze tolerant.
Douglas firs do not grow here, most Christmas type trees will not grow in the heat and humidity.
Check with Maas nursery, once in awhile the nurseries in the Heights will have them. They are hard to find because there aren't many of them that will grow here and they are expensive so most people don't buy them. My grandparents bought a live tree and planted it in their yard after Christmas every year. They lived in Kansas.
Tally HO!

o

Ann, there is a christmas tree farm in Floresville, Tx, just outside San Antonio. You might want to check with them. Barbra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here