Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Subjects for spring seminar

Posted by ginnypenny East TXZ8 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 19:13

Ok, gang, I need your help. The Cherokee County Master Gardeners is going to hold our annual Spring Seminar sometime in February or March. We'd like some suggestions on subjects to cover. The only stipulation is we'd like it to be applicable to Cherokee County and the surrounding East Texas Area....Not a lot of hill country and coast stuff around here!

Seriously, give me a few ideas, please. Last year we did design in the garden, both flower gardens and vegetable gardens.

We usually have two speakers with a short break between. They speak for about 1 hour each. The talks do not have to be on the same subject...so send us lots of ideas, OK?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Subjects for spring seminar

Native plants of East Texas
Gardening in alkaline soil (isn't your soil alkaline? If then gardening in acidic soi)
Fruit production in East Texas
Growing tropical fruits in East Texas
Year round vegetable gardening
butterfly, bee and dragonfly friendly gardening
Wildscaping
Gardening with alligators
Tally HO!

o

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll bring them to the committee next week....well maybe not the gardening with alligators....we have so few here! Lots of copperheads though.

o

And feral hogs!

o

Maybe chilli thrips could be addressed. I don't know where you are in relation to Houston, but they are in that city as well as in counties further north. It might be helpful for gardeners to know how to recognize them and what to do about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chilli thrips in San Antonio thread ...

o

Roselee, thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the tamu pdf and will take it to the meeting. I have no real idea of the number of days under 24, but it's not many. And if ya'll have it in Austin and SA, we're not far behind, I'd think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here