Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to Find REAL Mexican Sycamore in Austin Area

Posted by bjb817 8 tx (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 20:20

I'm looking for a fast growing, yet quality shade tree to add to my front yard. After doing some research, I've decided I'd like to plant a Mexican Sycamore. My problem's been that I'm fairly certain that many of the trees labeled and being sold as Mexican Sycamore are actually the American variety.

It's my understanding that the true Mexican Sycamores have a darker green leaf with a whitish underside, where the American ones have a lighter green leaf with a more greenish underside. for example, the ones I saw at Lowes today match the description of the latter, despite being labeled as the former.

So am I right in my conspiracy theory, or is there just that much leaf variation among Mexican Sycamores? If I am right in my theory, does anyone know of a nursery or nurseries in the area that carry the real deal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to Find REAL Mexican Sycamore in Austin Area

Barton Springs Nursery is one we check with for this sort of thing when in town. Phone number is on their website linked below. One of several great nurseries in the Austin area, so you should be able to find one from a reliable source.

Mix-ups happen at big box stores (a lot?) and good nurseries (occasionally?). Wise to be cautious if your heart is set on a particular cultivar, color, stature, ... - especially if something doesn't look quite right. Hate finding out we've been sold the wrong plant after growing it for several months before it leafs out or years before it flowers or reveals it's mature size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barton Springs Nursery

o

Forgot to add that you may get a better response on your questions about the Mexican Sycamore leaves over on the GW trees forum. Also, the linked article includes a difference in the shape of the base of the leaves that may be a more reliable differentiator than color - at least on trees old enough to have their mature leaves.

Imagine the seedballs might put off some folks as with sweetgum, but otherwise looks like a very nice quick tree option for alkaline soils where it can survive the extreme lows.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Mexican Sycamore - Platanus mexicana

This post was edited by bostedo on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 10:41

o

If you want to avoid big box stores, I've seen MS trees at Natural Gardener's in west Austin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Gardener

o

How could I have forgotten the Natural Gardener? That may make a good excuse to get out that way.

I'm not sure why, but it seems like the "true" ones I see planted around here are the larger, like 45g plus ones. I sure don't want to dig that big of hole!

o

I just noticed that two of my neighbors on my street planted 30 or 45g MS in the their backyards. Ouch. I had to get boulders out of the ground in my backyard just to plant 1g trees! Man, that was hard work!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here