Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants! How to make them lewve my garden?

Posted by PhytoRo none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 20:30

They are everywhere. I believe they might be fire ants, but i'm not very sure. I poured boiling water in 4 or 5 of the ant hills, but I found a huge one underneath a bench and where my thyme is growing. I'm very concerned because I have three small children and we can't even walk in the area, because of all the ants. Any ideas of how to get rid of them and still be able to eat my thyme? I also have a rosemary plant nearby, plus the kids so I don't want to use any chemicals. They are not coming into my house, it's just that this particular area is where we could sit and enjoy our backyard and we just can't do it because of the ants.
Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ants! How to make them lewve my garden?

For me I have found just water with a few drops of dish soap do the job. It washes off the waxy coating and you should see them curl up and die. Now you will not get the queen as she will be at the bottom of the mound and they try to protect her. Even if you kill her they will create a new one. But they do not like being bothered and after a while they will move away form that area.

o

I use poison. Better than ant bites!

o

I use poison too. Orange oil will kill your plants. The poison gets washed out of the soil fairly quickly and loses it's potentcy.

o

Corn meal in my vegetable garden since I don't like to use any poisons around food plants. In the yard, I use anything with permethrin in it.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here