Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Stone Pines in San Antonio

Posted by merryaustin 8b San Antonio (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 20:39

Has anyone grown Italian Stone Pines in San Antonio? I see them on the Texas Tree Selector, but I am not sure that I have actually seen one growing. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Stone Pines in San Antonio

I have 2 stone pines in my front yard. I didn't find out about what they actually were, until after i planted them, so I was lucky to be able to keep them maintained at about 4 ft.

Little did I know, they grow to 50-60 ft. and eventually get huge.

Good part is, they only grow 6-8 inches per year, with all of the new growth, occurring in the spring, early summer, so by July I could prune the new growth, and keep them contained to a manageable size, over the years. They are now about 11 yrs. old, and still just 4 ft. tall. They are about 4-5 ft. in diameter, at that height, at the base.

Easy to grow and care for, except for the annual pruning I do, which I use hedge shears to complete.

o

Fifty to Sixty feet? Thanks for this information, Rick. I bought one for $1 at an Austin Organic Gardener sale 2004 or 2005. The pine seedling was about a foot tall and growing in a tube that looked like the ones that hold cigars. Now it's 40-inches tall. Maybe your advice can help me keep it between 6-7-feet.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

o

I may have a photo of mine somewhere. One is on either side of my front walk, above an annual bed, on the corners.

I will see if I can find one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here