Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

I'm sad...

ogrose_tx
12 years ago

When we moved into our new house in 1972, we planted two Cedar Elm trees (among others) in the backyard. They grew to be about 60' tall over the years, providing a lot of shade. But, they got old, and with our high winds the last few years in the winter and spring we lost a lot of HUGE limbs, so we cut one down, I was heartbroken, but was amazed at what the extra light did in my flowerbed. Now we must cut the tree down that's right off our patio; my dh has big plans for turning this area into a room with all windows, and doesn't want to risk any more limbs coming down on top or the roof!

Let's see, maybe to assauge my heartbreak I'll go to the spa that weekend, that sounds good...

Comments (12)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Ahh, it is sad to lose trees that have been such a huge part of your life.

But its like kids leaving home, its what happens if you live long enough. :)

Take pictures and then get in on planning that new room with all the windows!
    Life is an adventure! :)

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Plus, the spa serves very nice wine with the manicure and pedicure!! I'm sure I'll survive one way or another...

• Deb Chickenmom
    12 years ago

I think an entire tree should be worth several spa treatments!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I am with Chickenmom. One big tree = many many spa points.,

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Agreed !!! Since one spa treatment makes one feel so good, then two, three...........makes one feel so MUCH better.....go for it ogrose.

• texaskelley
    12 years ago

In the yard of the house I grew up in there was a HUGE cottonwood tree. It was easily twice the height of any telephone poles nearby. But during major house renovations it got some kind of tree disease and started dropping limbs on the house. Our neighbor took two pictures: one of the house pre-reno with the tree and one post without. It is amazing to see how much sun we were missing, and how much the view opened up.

You might be changing the landscape, but it might be for the better, and who knows what that new sunroom will be like? You might have to have a glass of wine in there, instead of the spa...

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I would give up my tree for a sunroom any day!
    Now you will get new beds around the sunroom.
    The only tree in my back yard is an Arizona Ash the first owner planted and in the wrong place to give the house any shade.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Arizona ash is worth ZERO spa points! Now that is a trash tree.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Dang, Would I get any for getting rid of a trash tree?

My neighbor kept telling the guy not to plant. He said he wanted it because it grew fast. Now there are roots above ground. Hate it, but sure hate to give up the only shade in the back yard. I may get it cut down. That's what I did out front.
    At my age I would not be around to see a good tree get to a decent size. BTW cedar elms are one of my favorites.

• carolann_z8
    12 years ago

They call my fruitless Bradford pear trees trash trees but I sure enjoy them, especially when they bloom.

With all the sun and the new sunroom, I would plant a rose garden that you can see through the windows.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think Cedar Elms ARE considered to be good trees, and were great for us for years; then when we started getting the high winds we've gotten over the last few years, the branches started blowing down, one after another, and not just the small branches! I suspect that had we gotten the trees trimmed by a professional over the years this problem could have been averted. We have oak trees in the front yard, so far no problems.

I do have large beds in back, with lots of antique roses, and know when this is done I'll love it. The little "patio room" has a bed around it with lots of different stuff, including the roses Maggie and Jude the Obscure.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Losing a tree is sad. The sunroom/spa sounds like a great way to cope :)