Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castro_gardener

Do you have Mexican Honey Wasps?

castro_gardener
11 years ago

This is a picture of a nest I found this week in a tree that recently started losing its leaves. Concerned about what they will do if we mow or work around this tree, I contacted the agricultural extension agency.

He said they were honey wasps, and not very aggressive at all. Thank goodness! But I also had wanted to save the nest, since it's so cool looking. But they do not abandon their nests like our paper wasps do after the first freeze. And it's filled with honey, so no can do.

Just wanted you to see this in case you find one in your own de-leafing trees !

patty

Comments (8)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

It looks like the Paper wasp or hornets nests up north. Very cool. Do they make honey?

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Wow! If I was working on a tree that had that on it I'd probably fall right outta the tree lol.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Yeah Joey, I would think 'hornets' too if I saw the nest, although I have never seen a real hornet's nest, only pictures or cartoons in the funny papers. It's nice to know they are not agressive. Sounds like they are much like our common paper wasps in that respect.

Patty, thanks for the introduction of this fascinating insect. I'll be watching to see if I can find wasps with those markings foraging on flowers. Plus I would dearly love to find a nest in my yard.

Mara, the link says the nests are raided for their honey by people in Mexico and that will build back in the same spot in the base is left. Also says that small nests are sought by 'wasp farmers' and carried to the village so the nest can be protected and the honey more easily harvested.

Here is a link that might be useful: More about honey wasp including closeups of the wasps ...

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Patty also said in her post that it was filled with honey.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

wow, really cool

• texanjana
    11 years ago

That is so cool.

• Nancy Linton
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We have one in our tree also. Anyone know who to call to remove it??