Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Is your Satsuma loaded this year?

Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery that is. Check it out. Didn't someone tell me Satsumas are alternate year bearers?

Speaking of loaded fruit trees 'Mamachile' Mizan had 144 fruits on her pomegranate tree. What's your best bearing fruit tree?

Comments (11)

• colonel_kernel
    9 years ago

Satsuma mandarins bear every year. Last year, my crop was fairly large too, but had black spots on the rind from a nearly constant wet wind we had towards the end of the season. I sprayed with copper before the buds opened this year; seems to have a better outcome. I have a little sooty black mold, but nothing serious or displeasing looking on the fruit.

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

My new to me Satsumas were covered in blooms this spring but only 1 fruit. They should be ashamed....the Improved Meyer Lemons and Sweet Meiwa kumquats are so loaded that I have the branches propped on tomato cages. Hope next year is more fruitful for the Satsumas.....

• colonel_kernel
    9 years ago

It's strange that y'alls satsumas didn't produce much. The only thing I can think is maybe they're still young??? Mine doesn't seem to require much; to be honest, I pretty much ignore it most of the year. Then I juice the fruits and its a race between me and my wife - she tries to drink it all before I can make jelly!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Juice and jelly -- both sound good!

The fish heads you buried around yours last year probably didn't hurt it any ... ;-)

• colonel_kernel
    9 years ago

Jelly!

• dzejna
    9 years ago

Hello citrus enthusiasts! :D I am sure you wont mind if I ask you guys for an advice on how to overwinter my newly bought citrus plants ( Mandarin Page). I found a lot of different advice online but it won't hurt to get some more. :) I am in Dallas/FTW zone 7-8. Oh and my best fruit tree is the early dwarp apricot ( I will check the name later) that flowers and bears very early (may/June). I get about 5 -7 lb of great apricots!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Mine died. :-( I guess that late hard freeze in March might have done it in. I'll look for more cold tolerant cultivar like Arctic Frost which supposedly can tolerate as low as 10*F (!!!) or Orange Frost which is cold tolerant to 15 degrees F.

This post was edited by lou_midlothian_tx on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 16:44

• colonel_kernel
    9 years ago

Hello! I'm just an amateur, and live way farther south than you, so I'm not the best to advise on this, but most people here build a pvc cube around their tree and cover with old bed sheets, then put an incandescent light in there. Our winters here are typically mild though. You might ask this question on the fruit forum. There's a lot of people that frequent that page with a lot of knowledge.

• dzejna
    9 years ago

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. :)

• timintexas
    9 years ago

My Satsumas set very poorly this year- primarily, I think, due to the very cold winter we had in 2013. I am up near Shreveport. Most years I get a terrific crop...this year, a handful. I have about 10 trees planted on my South wall without any other protection. They are 13 years old now. Many years these things were nearly on the ground being so loaded with fruit. I mostly ignore them until it is time to pick.

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

Lou mine are still going and I have Artic Frost. BUT I roll them in and out of the garage. Glad I did too. The citrus I have are grateful. Won't know the damage to out tulips until this @&X! mess finally thaws. errgh