Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

Salvia Seedling from Spring Swap

lucas_tx_gw
11 years ago

Can't remember who grew the Van Houtii seedlings? Gail?

I planted the one I got but then had to move it because when the Vitex blew over and I cut them down, it got completely overrun by the new suckers forming at the bottom of the vitex.

But here is it's first bloom. Not in great focus but you get the idea.

I guess if it's tender tonight might be the end of it.

Pretty little thing though!

Comments (14)

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Nope, wasn't me. Hope it hangs in there for ya, at least long enough to make some seeds.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

Those leaves really look like a salvia gregii (or maybe even microphylla), not at all what pops up when I google salvia van houtii. Are you sure it's labeled correctly?

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Van Houtii (Faye Chapell)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I agree, Lin, it doesn't look like the vanhouttei that I grew (and lost because I did not take cuttings). There is a perennial variety, but the blooms and leaves look like the annual and this does not look at all like the pics I have seen of it.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I grew the seedlings from seeds I got off of Carrie's Van Houtti.
    I'm not sure we labeled them correctly, but I think that's the only salvia seeds I got. I loved the dark red color.
    Mine didn't bloom. I actually didn't think it would grow true from seed, but hoped it would.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Mine bloomed burgundy and were lovely.............wish I had not been so neglectful and had taken cuttings. I was told they were perennial, but they were not.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Carrie, didn't you take cuttings for someone?
    Maybe if they survived, you can get a cutting.
    I don't ever see that salvia for sale at nurseries.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Anne took cuttings, Ruth, but none of them survived. I got the two I had from a very dear friend who lives near my little home town. They are perennial there, so she may have more she can share. I won't be going down there until the Spring, but I will check at that time. I have never seen them offered locally either.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Here is a place where we can order them...........

http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=3107

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I would love to have some of her plants, but her shipping charge is 1-8 plants ........$29.95. Too much for me.
    I just received an order from Santa Rosa, also in California, for $7.99 flat rate.
    Peppers Greenhouse shows to have it at a reasonable price.
    I've never ordered from them so don't know about their shipping rates.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

That is a bit steep for me as well............. I will look for other sources if my friend doesn't still have them. She has lost so much to gopher damage, not certain what she still has.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

I love that Santa Rosa Gardens has that flat shipping rate. One of the problems with on-line vendors is that the shipping is so very high!

I ordered plants from Santa Rosa in their end-of-season sale, and the plants were very healthy. They were packaged very well too - my order came in two boxes for that $7.99 flat rate shipping. They are based in Florida, though, not California.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Thanks, Lin, for that info............

• ruthz
    11 years ago

lucas, I forgot to say that the salvia is very pretty, even thou it didn't bloom true.
    lin, thanks for pointing that out. I guess I thought it was in Santa Rosa CA. because of the name. I never actually looked at their address. My order was from the end of season sale also, which is still going on if anyone is interested.

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes as far as I remember the parent is a hybrid, so it was kind of an experiment anyway.

Now to see if it's cold hardy..... ;-)

Thanks

Teri