Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goacom

New turf blend- Habiturf. What do you folks think?

goacom
12 years ago

Check out http://www.wildflower.org/habiturf/

It is buffalo grass that is mixed with other native grasses. Apparently, it results in denser foliage and less weeds. I currently have St. Augustine, which as we all know is a water hog. The drought has not helped it either and my yard is looking terrible.

Besides reducing my grass area, I am also considering changing to a different type of grass. What do you folks think? I live in Austin.

Comments (14)

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I think it's gunna be a big pain in my rear when I do this to my (thankfully) relatively small front yard.

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    12 years ago

I think it might be worth trying out, but I would use it only in bare spots where there is less chance of the new grass seeds being outcompeted. I've tried growing buffalograss from both seed and plugs at our home in the Dallas area, planting it in brown patches by the road. The Habiturf mix combines buffalograss, blue grama, and curly-mesquite, all of which are very closely related to bermudagrass (the 4 species belong to the tribe Cynodonteae). It is sold in smaller amounts than similar seed mixes from Native American Seed, making a trial planting more economical.

Ty

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Floratam St augustine isn't really water hog. Can go 1-2 weeks between deep watering to maintain decent lawn.

Native grass mix may not work if you don't have at least 6 hours of direct sun.

• goacom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lou, your post on Floratam got me interested. However, I have read that it cannot stand cold weather very well and does not tolerate some shade either? How did your grass do during last years' freeze?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

My floratam came through winter just fine in San Antonio.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Mine is still alive. Apparently fall fertilizer made them more cold hardy. That's what I read. I've had them since 2005.

• lilij1963
    12 years ago

There are several new varieties of improved buffalograss that is both very drought resistant and tolerates shade. That's what I'm planning to put in.

Added bonus is that it doesn't get taller than 6".

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

RavensPhoenix, what are they called? I've never heard of buffalograss with shade tolerance. Thanks.

• goacom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lou,
    What do you think of Jamur Zoysia? It is another grass that is supposed to be very drought and disease resistant.
    Thanks.

• freshair2townsquare
    10 years ago

We're going to be replacing our backyard Bermuda/weed mix with . . . something. What do y'all think about Habiturf now?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Dang, that's a shame. I know you put a lot into it, but thanks for reporting on it. It might save others some grief.

In case anyone is wondering the Floratam St. Augustine came through this last hard winter well.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

The number of experiences mentioned like everclimber's with Habiturf and other "buffalo" seed blends has us leaning towards (Texas) Tech Turf plugs for a sunny 180 sq ft backyard trial. Don't know if the results will be any better, but am looking for a backup plan should it become too tough to keep the St. Augustine healthy with limited alkaline tap water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tech Turf/Turffalo

• Carla
    9 years ago

I have seen the information about habiturf and I think it would do well, but the seed is a little pricey. Most buffalo grass has to have full sun. It does not like fertilizer or weed killer and it doesn't do well with lots of water after it becomes established. I have 609 that I planted years ago. In the heat/drought of 2011, I didn't water at all. The grass went brown, then the blades broke off and disintegrated leaving mostly dirt. I didn't think it would come back. 2012 was the best it looked in several years, so I guess the less you do to it, the better it is.

Carla