Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New turf blend- Habiturf. What do you folks think?

Posted by goacom none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 23:26

Check out http://www.wildflower.org/habiturf/

It is buffalo grass that is mixed with other native grasses. Apparently, it results in denser foliage and less weeds. I currently have St. Augustine, which as we all know is a water hog. The drought has not helped it either and my yard is looking terrible.

Besides reducing my grass area, I am also considering changing to a different type of grass. What do you folks think? I live in Austin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New turf blend- Habiturf. What do you folks think?

I think it's gunna be a big pain in my rear when I do this to my (thankfully) relatively small front yard.

o

I think it might be worth trying out, but I would use it only in bare spots where there is less chance of the new grass seeds being outcompeted. I've tried growing buffalograss from both seed and plugs at our home in the Dallas area, planting it in brown patches by the road. The Habiturf mix combines buffalograss, blue grama, and curly-mesquite, all of which are very closely related to bermudagrass (the 4 species belong to the tribe Cynodonteae). It is sold in smaller amounts than similar seed mixes from Native American Seed, making a trial planting more economical.

Ty

o

Floratam St augustine isn't really water hog. Can go 1-2 weeks between deep watering to maintain decent lawn.

Native grass mix may not work if you don't have at least 6 hours of direct sun.

o
Floratam St Augustine

Lou, your post on Floratam got me interested. However, I have read that it cannot stand cold weather very well and does not tolerate some shade either? How did your grass do during last years' freeze?

o

My floratam came through winter just fine in San Antonio.

o

Mine is still alive. Apparently fall fertilizer made them more cold hardy. That's what I read. I've had them since 2005.

o

There are several new varieties of improved buffalograss that is both very drought resistant and tolerates shade. That's what I'm planning to put in.

Added bonus is that it doesn't get taller than 6".

o

RavensPhoenix, what are they called? I've never heard of buffalograss with shade tolerance. Thanks.

o

Lou,
What do you think of Jamur Zoysia? It is another grass that is supposed to be very drought and disease resistant.
Thanks.

o
Habiturf: requesting 2013 update

We're going to be replacing our backyard Bermuda/weed mix with . . . something. What do y'all think about Habiturf now?

o

I live in central Austin and carefully followed the planting directions (except I put about twice as much seed down as they said to. The yard looked okay the first year--I had to really work to keep the weeds down, and then nothing but weeds grew up in the spring of the second year. It was a very expensive project and I am really bummed.

o

Dang, that's a shame. I know you put a lot into it, but thanks for reporting on it. It might save others some grief.

In case anyone is wondering the Floratam St. Augustine came through this last hard winter well.

o

The number of experiences mentioned like everclimber's with Habiturf and other "buffalo" seed blends has us leaning towards (Texas) Tech Turf plugs for a sunny 180 sq ft backyard trial. Don't know if the results will be any better, but am looking for a backup plan should it become too tough to keep the St. Augustine healthy with limited alkaline tap water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tech Turf/Turffalo

o

I have seen the information about habiturf and I think it would do well, but the seed is a little pricey. Most buffalo grass has to have full sun. It does not like fertilizer or weed killer and it doesn't do well with lots of water after it becomes established. I have 609 that I planted years ago. In the heat/drought of 2011, I didn't water at all. The grass went brown, then the blades broke off and disintegrated leaving mostly dirt. I didn't think it would come back. 2012 was the best it looked in several years, so I guess the less you do to it, the better it is.

Carla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here