Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Here we go again

Here comes another arctic outbreak. End of the week. Friday to sunday in Austin. Sunday 23F Yikes. and double yikes.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 0:36

Comments (16)

• eahamel
    10 years ago

Oh, well. Might as well yank those tomato plants out of the ground. They have a few green tomatoes but haven't had any ripen yet, and now it looks like I won't.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They now say 25F. They will keep changing the extent as it approaches.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

The lowest I saw is 26*F. Worried about Saturday morning for my wife as she heads out for the HS playoffs football game...

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They have upped it to 30(friday) and 31(Saterday). HMMMMM. who should I believe. I just saw a report with 29 listed So I don't think it well be worse than the last cold front. About the same. It bears watching.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Looks like it won't be just another overnight freeze for us. Recent forecasts have parts of DFW holding at or below freezing for nearly three days (~Thur night to Sun pm).... that oughta finish off the Turk's Cap.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Bostedo,

I was looking at the tweets by Bastardi and he posted something showing single digit weather for DFW area in 5-6 days! Not sure if it'd actually happen. Just a computer stimulation, I think but a single digit temp? Wow...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bastardi's tweet

This post was edited by lou_midlothian_tx on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 7:29

10 years ago

Lou, See others now predicting lows in the 12-19ð range for next Mon/Tues. This is already a couple degrees higher than forecasts earlier today, so am guessing it will be revised upward. Would hate to see it go so cold this early, but impressed if Bastardi's call on single digits proves right from this far out.

This post was edited by bostedo on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 18:46

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

I see four freezes on my 7-day forecast, lowest one is 24ð. I'm not liking this!

• beachplant
    10 years ago

upped it to 40 for our lowest this week, Tuesday night I think.
    I do NOT like this!
    Tally Ho!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am totally in agreement with you that I DO NOT LIKE THIS! Tally, I am trying to be sympathetic, LOL. But I feel like someone just rubbed salt into my wound.40F!!!!!â¦I would love a 40F. I know you live in the same state but I think it is actually another COUNTRY, not county. We are to hit 23 tonight. we barely cleared 32 today. And god knows what our friends in the panhandle are doingâ¦. I have the flu really bad and can not get everything covered so they well die tonight.

But You have the right to complain because all this is is the matter of degrees ( bad pun) and your yard is so much more tender than mine and 40F might reek havoc where it would go un noticed in mine. So complain away and I will nod knowing that we feel with what we get the best we can.

10 years ago

Well, the pessimistic forecasters had it right for DFW. We're at 19ð and not getting back above freezing for at least another 30 hours; so the coating of ice on most things is with us until then. Saw a lot of tree damage on the north side of Dallas - especially oaks and Callery pears. Our Shumard is weeping badly, but no breaks so far.... small chance of more sleet this afternoon.

Power was out for 8 hours in our subdivision in spite of underground utilities, though several of the older neighborhoods to our south (larger trees & above ground utilities) are still dark. Something like a quarter million homes were out at the peak. Should have thought to ask for ideas on keeping pool equipment from freezing without power... I now know a camp stove and some old draperies will work in a pinch.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Burrrrr... cold. I think it was 21*F this morning. Wonder if this hard freeze will finally push semi-evergreen Montezuma cypress into dormancy earlier than usual? Weather looks good for a while starting tomorrow for central Texas.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know about the Montezumma Cypress, but it sure is pushing me into early dormancy. I did not get my vegetable garden prepared and I think I will be looking at death out there and in my aloes. We are all sick in my house, so I am more worried about our health than my plants. I will have a lot of empty pots next year. That has been a lesson about flirting with MN. Change one variable (myself) and my carefully stacked system fall into ruin.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Wantonmara, I hope that you all feel better soon. Chin up,you may have some hardy surprises in the spring.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Wantonmara,

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. I've found vitamin D3 supplement to work very well against flu, cold, etc. Just have to take it every day all year long to keep vitamin D level within optimal range for it to work. Rule of thumb is 1000 IU for every 25lbs of bodyweight. Basically your own natural vaccine. Keep it in mind that the current recommended daily amount is only 600 IU a day and during the summer in bathing suit, we get 10,000-20,000 IU after 30 minutes of sun exposure. Sunblock lotion prevents us from getting vitamin D from the sun though. We get almost nothing during the winter so that's how we get sick. To treat vitamin D deficiency, doctors prescribe 50,000 IU a week for 2-3 months but doctors don't seem to test for vitamin D deficiency often though but it is quite common during the winter.

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

Zinc plus vitamin C also!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz