Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas present

Posted by treenutt 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 9:37

I am going to ask Santa for a white oak (Quercus alba) for Christmas. It will be planted in Trinity county in the community of Friday near Groveton, Pennington and Glendale. Any suggestions as to where to get one from? I'm hoping Santa will bring one in a pot at about 5' - 6' ft. tall. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks treenutt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas present

I must have been on the naughty list. No white oak..

o

No way, it's just that even Santa couldn't find one. :-) Hopefully someone will chime in soon about where a white oak can be purchased.

o

That must be true. They are hard to find. I've tried.

o

Nativ Nursery has them in stock, maybe not as big as you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quercus alba

o

K,from Plumeria Forum, special ordered a dolly, that can haul hugh potted plants. Its like a forklift. I printed the picture from the forum, wrote the toll free number for Nothern Tools, and told my hubby that all I wanted for Christmas. " I got it". Its hugh! I can move anything. with it, I love it. Barbra

o

Check out the SFA University Mast Arboretum spring plant sale April 5 - starts at 9am. They have all kinds of oaks at good prices - young trees, easily planted. This is a sale I never miss - so many interesting things that cannot be found at nurseries. They have one in fall also, usually October 5-6. If you don't find a white oak by then, SFA will have it. Or you might try Cooks Nursery in Nacogdoches but theirs will probably be larger and expensive. SFA is your best bet probably. They publish a list of what they will have a couple of weeks before the sale - check the website. I just checked my fall list - they had "Quercus Alba" - white oak. Also Southern Red Oak, Mexican Royal Oak, Overcup Oak[have one of these, a wonderful tree], Burr Oak, Swamp Chestnut Oak, Chinquapin Oak, Shumard Red Oak, Pecos, Post Oak and Live Oaks.

Lufkin gives away free trees on Arbor Day, January 31, at the Lufkin Mall from 9am - noon - pines and hardwood seedlings - you might find some white oaks there. Come early - there is always a line.

o

thanks alameda,
good reminder about SFA. I used to go there. If Im in town I might give Lufkin a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here