Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard Frost coming to DFW area

Posted by DFW_Gardener 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 11:48

We're scheduled for a hard frost Sunday night/Monday morning, with possible snow. It will be below freezing again on Tuesday, and possibly Wednesday.

Prepare accordingly.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard Frost coming to DFW area

I saw that too. I'm actually kind of glad. Last year it seems we didn't get a good freeze and my amaryllises didn't bloom. (Not sure if that is cause/effect, but it seems to be.) Plus, I didn't have the heart to pull up the marigolds that just got nipped by the numerous light frosts and are still blooming. Now I won't feel bad about it.

o

Had my first killing frost the end of October........but thanks for the warning. Hopefully, the freezing temps will be of short duration.

o

How'd that happen, Carrie? It was mid November before I had anything cold enough to make even the sweet potato vine in the front yard notice. Maybe being half a mile from the lake does more than I thought it did?

I am glad that all of my potted plants are in the greenhouse and all I need to do is water, set up the heater, and close the outside door. And hope that I don't need to use the heater!

o

Tomorrow I'll cover up my garden with a tarp again. I have spinach, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, turnips, and collards all growing very nicely. I think most of that except the lettuce might survive uncovered but I dont want to take any chances.

o

My peppers I'm going to harvest whatever is still on them and write them off. My peas and kale shouldn't have a problem. My spinach is just sprouting, so I'll cover those just in case.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

o

We watered well, threw out some more mulch and brought in the unpotted water lily tubers. It's probably time for the garden to sleep. I'm ready for it anyway.

o

DFW gardener:
think the peas can handle mid-20s? I remember losing some peas before to such temperatures, so it might be good to throw something over them just to be sure.

o

Tomorrow night is when the really HARD freeze will hit.....I hope I have everything protected........including water pipes.

o

My uncovered tomatoes, peppers and basil survived the light snow and frost this morning (here just west of DFW Airport). I'll definitely be picking everything that is warm-season today with 9+ hours of below freezing temps being foretasted for tonight.

o

o

Yeah, Ill be throwing 2 tarps on my veggies tonight. Hope the lettuce and turnips make it. Not worried about the cabbage, spinach, or broccoli as much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here