Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

Yellow Spider Lilies (Lycoris Aurea )

bossjim1
13 years ago

I planted these Yellow Spider Lilies three years ago. I got 1 bloom the first year but none since. I want to move them but everything I read says that they don't like to be disturbed, and may not bloom the first year after moving. Just what I need, another year with no blooms! Anyone have experience with these? Any suggestions? I have the same problem with Belladonna lilies(Amaryllis belladonna), except they have been in place for 4 years and have never bloomed.

Comments (19)

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

The only experience I have is with those which grow in very wet areas, even in the ditches that hold water for long periods of time.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

maybe they aren't getting enough sun?

• manda3
    13 years ago

Can you explain the location, the sun exposure, the depth you planted them, the type of soil, and the amount of water they receive? How big were the spider lily bulbs when you put them in the ground?

The surprise lilies are truly surprising. They are lilies that should be planted in a sunny location and forgotten about. When you've finally given up on them, surprise, they'll bloom for you. That's just how those guys work. Even though they don't bloom, they should still shoot up the leaves each fall and disappear each summer. If they don't get that, or if the leaves are knocked down before they've gathered enough energy through them, then that's a problem.

Also, with amaryllis, I find that if they are watered or fertilized too often, they'll shoot up a whole bunch of green leaves with no bloom. That's as far as my experience goes with those guys.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wally- I think the lilies you are referring to are Hymenocallis. I have them too, but no problem with blooming.

Sylvia- That's exactly what I'm thinking, and why I want to move them.

Manda-The bulbs are planted in a South facing, well amended, raised bed, but are pretty well hidden under other plants. They were large, healthy bulbs, about 1&1/2" in diameter when planted three years ago. They are planted between 6" and 8" deep as per instructions. They put out nice large leaves when they are suppose to. In fact they are leafed out now. The garden is on spray irrigation, and each bed gets 20 min. twice a week. I have lots of the red variety that bloom well. I had 89 in bloom at the same time, and another 35 a week later, in late September. I would really like for the yellow ones to bloom as well.

• manda3
    13 years ago

All that sounds great to me. Mine are planted about 2 to 5 inches deep, full sun southern exposure, and gets rain water only. No fertilizer and only amended with expanded shale in clay soil for drainage. If your reds are doing well and getting the same treatment as the yellows, then my only guess would be to continue the waiting game.

Maybe the bulb hunter can help you out if no one else around here can figure it out. :) :) :)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bulbhunter.com/

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

I think that you need some patience. and a little fertilizer. I like to give them a nice shot of water in late august and september to wake them up.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Before I knew about and purchased the dependable heirloom red lycoris that blooms every year and multiplies nicely (not taking time right now to look up their name) I ordered several colors of lycoris by mail order. This was 20 years ago. The foliage came up every winter, but I had to laugh when for the first time *ONE* and one only, bloomed this year! It was pinkish red.

Granted -- they probably were not in an ideal location with ideal conditions.

Wishing you the best with yours. Keep us posted.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wantonamara- I do fertilize and thought I had been patient. That is, until I read Roselee's post! Now that's patience! 20 years? I'll move them 2 or 3 times before I wait 20 years.

• random_harvest
    13 years ago

I planted some yellow spiders after I saw a clump in bloom this fall along Turtle Creek in Dallas (stunning!). They were under a canopy of mature trees among a vigorous stand of vinca minor. The shade was considerable and I doubt they ever get fertilizer. So maybe more patience is all you need.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

I have always heard and experienced, that when you move them, they take several years to get it going again. I moved mine and they took 3 years to bloom. I also have heard that if you let them dry out after digging up that will make them slow about blooming also. When one buys them, they might be a bit dried out, if you bought them as bulbs.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wantonamara- That makes sense, and the best I remember, they were really dry when I purchased them. I think I'll give them another year where they are. Thanks.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

I got some from Molly a few years back. They bloom every year in the fall, foliage is up now, they have multiplied. Full shade, no fertilizer. So I'm no help. The red is the one I have problems with, they bloom about every 2-3 years!
    Tally HO!

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

I've never seen the yellows, but my reds hate to bloom too. I divided them last spring in hopes of getting more blooms, but didn't. I'm guessing I baby mine too much. could that be your problem too?

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynmarie- you may be right, but I don't really have any place to but them where the soil isn't amended and doesn't get irrigation.

Here's a picture of the only bloom I've had.

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if dependable blooming in hot climates like ours depends on the species or the particular combination of the species they were hybridized from.

"Lycoris is a genus of 13�20 species of flowering plants in the family Amaryllidaceae, formerly often treated in the family Liliaceae. They are native to eastern and southern Asia in Japan, southern Korea, eastern and southern China, northern Vietnam, northern Laos, northern Thailand, northern Burma, Nepal, northern Pakistan, Afghanistan, and eastern Iran."

Lycoris radiata from China is the old fashioned red one that blooms dependably in the south.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Lycoris on Wikipedia

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Howdy neighbors,
    I grow mine in a large clay pot in Missouri City Texas (between Alvin and Sugar Land). I agree that do not like to be moved, even from one pot to the next. Mine is now in a 14", fairly deep, pot. When I moved it up from a 12" it only had a few blooms last year. This year it had 7 or 8 in the clump. When mine dies down in the early summer I just stick it in the garage till fall. No water at all. I fertilize ocassionally. You may benefite from artificially crowding yours by inserting rocks around the clump to make it feel root-bound. Even that type of work will postpone blooming.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roselee- that is an interesting read. I also have the Lycoris chinensis and Lycoris x albiflora, which haven't bloomed yet. They have only been planted one year, so maybe.
    Jim

• Brad Edwards
    11 years ago

They need bulb size I believe to bloom. It should take between 2-3 years for a reliable bloom to come out of them with adequate bulb growth. I know many new propagation don't bloom often within the first year or two.

I am on the hunt for yellows and have plenty of reds to trade. zn8eastx

• lou_texas
    11 years ago

Jim, I have lycoris albiflora and lycoris radiata. The cream-colored ones bloom as much as my reds if not more. I haven't moved them in years. For some reason I think they may like to be crowded. They get irrigation and aren't planted as deep as yours are. Not sure how this info helps you, but I hope you have better luck this year. Lou