Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First freeze of San Antonio

Posted by phoenix7801 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 12:20

So how is everyone's plants doing so far. At my house alot it was OK and at the gardens I don't think we got too low.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First freeze of San Antonio

It was pretty benign here too. Just a few very tender plants that were out in the open froze back, elephant ears, etc. No freezes are predicted for the next ten days so with this nice weather I'll be busy digging up plants that got too much sun, or didn't get enough, and moving them to conditions more to their liking. Hopefully someday I'll get every plant in the right place. Incidentally, there's a nice little crop of oranges on my young Satsuma. They are very sweet and seedless. Their first few fruits last year were on the sour side.

o

We've had 29-30 degree lows the last two nights, but the damage has been pretty minimal. I brought my container plants onto the covered back porch and laid a thick layer of hay to protect the roots of my lemon, satsuma and grapefruit trees. I left my angel wing begonias and my jatropha tree unprotected and their foliage is pretty well killed off, but I think (hope, actually) they will come back from their roots. In the meantime, I am debating whether I should cut my pentas, angelonias, lantanas, hibiscus, plumbago, etc. down or leave them alone for the rest of the winter.
Molly

o

Worst night was last night...25.9. The night before was 29.1 and forecast for tonight says 32. Some of the foliage is wilted and there's a few plants that probably won't recover. Oh well, it's winter and I bet you're glad you don't live up in these hills! Strangely enough I saw a Common Mestra butterfly today...not sure how it survived, but good for it! Otherwise, I've seen sulfurs, one Red Admiral and several American Lady butterflies. My little winter hummingbird is still showing up also! Hope the feeder wasn't frozen when it came today...I forgot to warm it up this morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here