Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freeze tolerance of lettuce

Posted by snappybob SaTexas Zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 12:34

We are expecting a freeze for the next few nights the lowest is expected to be 27F. Will my lettuce survive if I cover it? Do I need to cover it or should I just pull it all up and harvest it now? Or does lettuce handle short term freezes OK? I really don't want to harvest now but I would hate to lose it all. Sorry, I don't have a lot of experience with lettuce.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freeze tolerance of lettuce

It freezes. Don't know about covering it. Pick some, cover some.
Tally HO!

o

I cover it if it goes into the 20's and it seems to do fine. I grow it in containers on the deck and have taken them in a few times when we went into the teens last year but otherwise they stay outside. I've been to 29 this year already and didn't cover and they did fine.
Happy Growing David

o

Thanks David!
Tally HO!

o

Some of mine got bit the other night when we had that light freeze. I covered mine tonight and will leave it all covered 'til Saturday. I think it depends on what type ~ seems like the thicker-leaved varieties sailed through the freeze with no damage at all, but the thinner leaved types were damaged a little on the tallest edges.

o

Depends on the type. Some lettuce can take the cold but not the frost, or so I have been told. So I cover mine till I know more about it. I have had some go through the whole winter but I have had some get bit on the first frost. So di we leave you just as confused as you were before having the qquestioned answered.

o

Thanks for all of the info. I watered everything in real well and covered the lettuce with sheets. There were a few places that got a little nipped but all in all everything turned out OK and we got down to aroune 23F.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here