Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xtal_gw

Best lilac for Central Texas?

Does anyone know which variety does better here? I've never actually seen a lilac, much less one in bloom. Do they need acid soil? If so, that's probably why I haven't seen one.

Thanks for your opinions!

Xtal

Comments (15)

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

My husband would like one too but I didn't think they would grow here. Did you ever get that email I sent you?

• denisew
    16 years ago

A neighbor of mine has one, but I haven't seen much blooms from it. It tends to look real scraggly in our Texas heat. I think they are better suited to up north. Instead try a vitex, also called chaste tree.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I agree with a vitex being a much better choice. Texas A&M is working on a lilac for the south but still haven't heard any new news so it may be a few to several years before some experimental ones become available to try.
    Happy Growing David

• brarygrl
    16 years ago

I've always heard that a "Persian lilac" can withstand TX heat, better than the French varieties grown up north, but I've never actually seen one of these so called Persian varieties growing...

• patsy_b
    16 years ago

Betsy Ross (white) has done great for several years with morning sun and afternoon shade at Moody. Same blooms and fragrance as the purple.

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

brarygrl,

You mention a "Persian lilac". The only thing that I can find on the web about it is its botanical name Melia azedarach L. It also goes under other common names including chinaberry, Chinaberry tree, Chinaberrytree, Indian lilac, lelah, paraiso, pride of India, white cedar. It is considered an invasive by the Invasive Species organization and by the Invaders of Texas organization. Please do not plant it as it is highly invasive.

Thank you!

• pricklypearsatx
    16 years ago

The latin name of Persian Lilac is: Syringa persica. This is a true lilac.

It is on A&M's recommended plant list for El Paso. So, I assume it would do well in Waco.

However, since Ltcollins couldn't find anything using the common name and I was only able to find a few links using the botanical name, I don't think this plant is commonly available in the nursery trade.

• jeffreyd
    16 years ago

I have a neighbor here in Dallas with a Syringa X persica. It was covered in blooms this past spring. The scent was just about the same as I remember lilacs in Ohio. Though the flower heads are a bit smaller. I haven't been by since, so I don't know how it did during the summer, but the plant was an old one.

You can find plants on-line. They'll be small, probably, but I'd give it a try... As a matter of fact, I plan on doing just that myself.

• austinwildflower
    16 years ago

My grandmother in Michigan had so many lilacs... I used to cut and cut them and bring them inside. A sure sign of spring. What about Texas mountain laurel? We have an old one in our yard, and I actually like this more than the vitex tree. It smells so much like what I remember of lilacs, perhaps a little more grapey, but overall has a similar personality as lilac.

also - I was looking up lilacs and came across this discussion about lilacs and persian lilacs on the southwestern gardening forum --

Here is a link that might be useful: lilac bushes

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone that responded. I've got 3 vitex going right now. So, I'll be looking forward to their blooming next year. I didn't realize that they were that fragrant.

Xtal

• seamommy
    11 years ago

I just pulled up this thread because I bought a Persian lilac at Lowe's today. I am really looking for information about planting an fertilizing. I'm thinking of locating it where it will get afternoon shade in order to mitigate some of the heat.

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

Go for the Persian Lilac. It is the best for our area. Those who posted they planted Vitex, I just hope they planted them far from any stucture. Vitex can get quite large without regular pruning.

• talbottx2
    8 years ago

My Grandmother had a huge lilac in Mississippi and I'll never forget the wonder of this beautiful tree that it is said, "CANNOT BE GROWN IN CENTRAL TEXAS"!!!

I live in a rural area West of Austin, and years ago I saw a lilac blooming in a yard in Johnson City near where I live. I've also been told of lilacs growing about 15 miles of here outside the town of Blanco. These trees would have been originally planted MANY years ago and somehow, are of a variety that WILL tolerate HEAT, DROUGHT, ALKALINE SOIL and other challenges faced by Central Texas Gardeners. I've wanted a lilac for as long as I can remember.

Today, I passed the home where I first saw a tree blooming and the tree was putting out new growth! I thought the drought had killed it but it survived. The home is abandoned now and overgrown with weeds, but being unable to resist, I broke off a branch and have trimmed cuttings and dipped them in rooting hormone and will try to root them. I've read that they are easily rooted in water, so, being a FANATIC about owning a lilac, I will go back tomorrow and take pruning shears to get MORE. I looked in the weeds for suckers and didn't see any BUT, since the growing season is JUST beginning, MAYBE, there WILL be some later and I'll have a better chance of success! I INTEND to have a lilac and hope I just live long enough to see it bloom!!!

YAY!!! I shall have a lilac tree!!!

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

talbottx2,

You've got the right idea about getting some clippings. I live in Temple and had some links to Blanco. You are in the right place to come up with some good lilacs with all those lavender farms around you. Fight back with your own fragrance. If you could get one started that I could trade for, then, I'd work on some cuttings from things I have here.

You've got my applause.

Xtal