Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing ginger in Houston

Posted by rumbum 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 13:01

I just received a few ginger bulbs. They already have stalks with the leaves cut back. The guy I got them from said this is a cold hardy variety; probably to the teens. Should I plant them now or wait for spring? If I wait how do I store them until then? Also any other suggestions would be appreciated I am using a long trough planter which is about 10" deep I guess. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing ginger in Houston

I don't think you can screw them up. I'd go ahead and stick them in the ground as soon as the temps aren't quite so arctic!

o

I had success with my ginger (simple stuff purchased at the grocery store) by soaking it overnight before planting.

o

Sounds like shell ginger. When you plant it, does so with plenty of room. A neighbor gave me 3 pieces in 2008 or 09. It increased to the size of a truck tire by this summer. A family that lives on a farm came and dug it up for their place.
I loved it, but I have a small yard.

o

it could be one of several different, alpinia, hedychium or even a different one.
No need to soak it overnight, you can rot ginger.
Stick it in the ground and mulch it for winter.
Full sun for alpinia or shell ginger, the hedychiums like a bit of protection from afternoon sun. Costas-unless variegated will stand full sun.
bury the rhizomes really shallow.
Tally ho!

o

Sadly I left it in a fruit bowl during the cold snap and it molded. Maybe I will try with some store bought ginger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here