Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Gardening Question Posted on Conversations

sylviatexas1
9 years ago

Savannagirl posted this on Conversations, needs to be answered on main page.

Here is a link that might be useful: What Other Plants for Savanna Oak Plantation

Comments (2)

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    9 years ago

I replied to this on the original page. I'm sorry - I sort of overlooked your request to answer it here, so I will copy my answer here:

I don't really know the answer to your question regarding camellias or azaleas for your area - as far as cold hardiness goes, assuming you are in zone 8, there are cultivars that can live in that zone; soil PH and water would probably be your limiting factors.

Have you looked at Sally Wasowski's book "Native Texas Plants: Landscaping Region by Region"? She divides Texas into 10 distinct regions, and includes a color coded map of Texas to help one decide which of her regions one lives in. Then there is a landscape plan for each region, as well as an extensive plant encyclopedia telling what regions each plant will grow in. This is the beginning of her description of the "Hill Country" region:
    "The Edwards Plateau is a beautifully rugged land with live oaks, Texas (or Spanish) red oaks, Ashe junipers (which form the Eastern "cedar" brakes), mesquites, and lots of wildflowers. Curly mesquite grass and buffalo grass abound. So do deer. In the deeper soils, you'll find little bluestem, Indian grass, and switch grass....." Does this sound like your region? My copy of this book is the 1991 version - I believe that she has since updated the book, or written other somewhat similar books since then.

You may also wish to look at Native American Seed if you are interested in sowing more native grasses or wildflowers that are native to your region. This company is in Junction, Texas. Below is a link to their website.

Hopefully you'll be able to find more help than I am able to give you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native American Seed

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Good tips plantloverkat!

Are there any more responses to Savannagirl's question posted on the Conversations Forum?

Her question:

"We are restoring a Southern Live Oak Savannah, we do have alot of deer. Are there any camillas or azaleas that will grow in my area ? We are of course in a drought. We are letting many of the natural live grasses and such grow back. The land was badly overgrazed when we acquired it. We have many century plus old oaks and two major oak groves. If i have this right : we are a riparian oak woodland. So we have nice natural features to the land. Im really enjoying identifying many of the natural species of plants and trees. Any tips would be appreciated."

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm