Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

This is just crazy!!

melvalena
12 years ago

I was just out walking the back yard looking for sprouts of the poppies and larkspur seeds. I have something coming up in the bed close to the house that gets nearly full day sun. Since I threw lots and lots of seeds all over all the beds I have no idea what is sprouting but its fun to wait and see what is happy and what is going to make it.

Now the crazy part... the birds, which I'm sure have feasted on some of those seeds.

Cedar Waxwings and a Robin!!!

Searching through past posts these were first posted about last year in Feb and March.

hmmm. Thoughts? Maybe they are here all winter and we don't usually pay attention until Spring?

Comments (12)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I saw them about two weeks ago, Mel, but none recently. I, too, was surprised to see them. There were only three robins, but a flock of 20 or 30 Cedar waxwings....go figure.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe they're here ahead of the dry cold front that is supposed to come by New Years?
    Or maybe there isn't much out in the wild for them due to last summer's heat and drought?

• carrie751
    12 years ago

The waxwings weren't here long...........just long enough to fill up on berries, and then they were on their way.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hmm. They aren't eating my berries. Just hanging out in the trees out back. Looks like they were sunning and resting.

The robin was down on the ground in the shade, hopping around.

Our earthworms are still pretty close to the surface right now.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Maybe they're confused; I know I am! Tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be gorgeous, time to start cleaning up the yard...

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I have Waxwings,Robins, and Yellow finch nearly all year that love the Hackberries in the easement. They also like the water gardens.

• cerri
    12 years ago

What's crazy is I spent the last two days of the year in my backyard in shorts and a sleeveless shirt! 70 degrees the last two days, and it looks like it's gonna stay around 65 here in Dallas for the countdown. Even for Texas, that seems very odd.

• cerri
    12 years ago

What's crazy is I spent the last two days of the year in my backyard in shorts and a sleeveless shirt! 70 degrees the last two days, and it looks like it's gonna stay around 65 here in Dallas for the countdown. Even for Texas, that seems very odd.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Not really, I can remember a number of mild winters in my past, but then I may be older than you. Severe winters come and go here in Texas and I, for one, am ready for a mild one. Oh, and BTW, I am watching a robin hopping around as I type this.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My birthday is mid Jan. I can remember several with nearly 80* days. But I can remember some really cold ones too!

Just wait Cerri, the longest, coldest, most dreary and miserable month of the year hasn't arrived yet. Feb!

But even then we have some really nice days that we can get out and prune the roses around Valentines Day.

Yep, February is worse than August in North Texas.

• cerri
    12 years ago

I've only lived down here for 10 years. I'm from Chicago, so even a "bad" winter down here isn't bad compared to what I grew up in.

Up there, by February you start pondering cutting yourself just to see some color. =p

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Then you should just love our winters!

"they" changed the forecast again.. not going to get as cold as 'they' said it would.