Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting back perennials

Posted by rowdysmom (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 14:06

Hi All, I live in Austin and my deciduous perennials look really bad (I just put in new beds in the fall, so this is my first winter for perennials). I'm talking lantana, turks cap, Mexican oregano, etc etc (lots of perennials). When I inquired at the nursery about when to cut them back, they said not till between Feb. 1-14. But over the weekend on the radio gardening shows, the hosts said it was fine to cut them back now. What advice do you sage gardeners have for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting back perennials

I wait until February to cut mine back ..........if you cut them back now, they could re-sprout on warm days and then be killed back again when the next freeze comes. I know they don't look very attractive, but I have learned to live with it as another part of winter I don't like.

o
RE: cutting back perennials

Like Carrie said; however, a few things in prominent places that look really raggidy like Esperanza in the front yard I cut back if the stems are totally dead. Cutting back perennials with green stems such as roses will induce them to sprout new foliage too early. Plants with soft dead foliage I tidy up by folding it around and mashing it down which serves as a mulch to protect the roots from further low temperatures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here