Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burntplants

Monarch butterflies for the holidays? Help.

burntplants
12 years ago

Umm...I found a brand-new monarch chrysalis, with a monarch cat hanging upside down right next to it, preparing to turn into it's own chrysalis.

On the up side, they are on the edge of a large pot, which I can move. On the downside, late December in Houston might not be the best for butterflies.

How can I encourage their survival?

Comments (17)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Hi burntplants. I wish I knew the answer, but since you haven't received a reply on here why don't you present your question to the Butterfly Forum. The folks over there are very knowledgable and experienced and can probably give you some ideas. Let us know what they say.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Butterly Forum ...

• bedford8a
    12 years ago

I am a teacher and gardener in Arlington and my class raises Monarchs in the fall. we contribute to the Journey North/South migration project every year.

I would bring the pot with the chrysali into the house where it's warm to speed up their development. In about 7-10 days the adult butterflies will be ready to emerge. Monarch are tough and can fly when the temperature is only 60 degrees or above, so letting them fly away in the afternoon when the air has warmed up is a good idea. Ideally it should be sunny, too.

As for raising them... you can tell when the butterflies are ready to emerge because the chrysalis will turn black. When you can start to see the wings through the chrysalis shell it means the adult is just about to emerge! It happens very fast.

Monarchs ideally need about 6-8 hours to dry their wings before flying. On the day they emerge, they can spend the rest of the day without food before you release them. They can and will fly around your house if they are not kept in a cage, though. If you can't release them within 24 hours due to weather conditions, then put cotton balls soaked with sugar water on the bottom of their cage for them to sip on.

I think the butterflies will have a good chance of survival if you take care of them now. It's been pretty warm up here in Arlington and the flowers are still blooming. Our first frost is coming on Sunday, I think. I hope your Monarchs make it. Good luck!

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

The only thing I know is if you "help" them out of thier chysalis it will kill them.
    It will be so neat to set them free!

• bedford8a
    12 years ago

I need to listen to my own advice! A first grade teacher just presented me with four almost full grown Monarch caterpillars this morning. Since we're in Arlington I doubt they'll make it as adult butterflies in North Texas in December - too cold and the killing frost is coming this weekend. Maybe we'll get another warm day in about 2 weeks and I can let the caterpillars go.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Will the butterfly postpost emerging until spring if the chysalis is left in a cool place for the winter?

• bedford8a
    12 years ago

I don't know if they'd postpone emerging if it gets cold. Since they migrate to warmer climes, I'm not sure they have the ability to remain in the chrysalis all winter like some other insects. My guess is that they would just die out in the cold. I will check out the butterfly forum, though, and post the question there.

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

Monarchs don't stay in the chrysalis until spring. The butterfly must emerge.

• bedford8a
    12 years ago

Yes Linda, that's the answer I got from the Butterfly Forum - you can't keep Monarchs cool to delay emergence. We'll see what the weather is like when they emerge and I'll let them go when it's warm. Two of the three remaining cats are now hanging upside down, and the last has stopped eating and is resting, so I'll have potentially four Monarchs to release mid-December. Let's hope for a warm front 10 days from now!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Thanks to all that replied for the information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Butterfly Migration ...

• burntplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, thank you.
    I'll keep an eye on the weather, and make sure they fly off on a warm day.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

A few days ago I was out in the yard. I saw a monarch flitting around. I thought to myself, poor guy...you're late...you'll never make it. :(

I think that was the last one in Denton County to emerge and head back home. :(

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I saw a few right after the freeze and wondered how they survived.

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

You never know! The Monarchs can tolerate a mild freeze. I hope they make it south...they DO need it to get up to a certain temp during the day in order to fly.

• burntplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

UPDATE:
    I brought the pot in anytime it got close to freezing, then put it back outside. (I have 3 indoor kitties that would break into a butterfly habitat for a snack on the fly, as it were.)

Well, the first chrysalis one turned dark green/almost black right before sunset. In my experience, that means it'll hatch tomorrow--highs in the upper 50s and maybe rain. It may not survive unless it can hold out until Christmas.

The second is still bright green, but I'm beginning to see wing markings if I squint. This week is supposed to be sunny after tomorrow, so the second should be fine.

In other stubborn caterpillar news, today I noticed a large fat Monarch cat hanging upside down off the eave and spinning a chrysalis. My butterfly weed IS still blooming, but this is really late!

• burntplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ANOTHER UPDATE:
    The one chrysalis is totally black, but the butterfly hasn't emerged yet.

AND there are 20+ large Monarch caterpillars on my butterfly bush.

I think I'll just stop worrying at this point.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

It's time to let nature take it's course. I ventured out into the garden, on a brief look around, this morning, and saw dozens of Monarch cats on the milkweed. It is cold out there, and they will either make it or they won't.
    Jim

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Nature has a positive way of taking care of it's own......I agree !!!!