Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Off topic ... My email was hacked.

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 16:50

To my friends on GW: If you get an email from me titled "My New House" just delete it.

I changed my password. My same email address should still work okay.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Off topic ... My email was hacked.

Oh no! and possibly too late. I did open the email but not the attachment so hopefully it's okay. If anyone gets the same one from me delete it and don't open.

o

I think you are okay if you don't open the attachment. But if anyone clicks the link you probably got hacked too. Just run spyware and change your password.

o

thank you for posting this. I hate that stuff!
c

o

I don't know what the purpose of the hacking was. The spyware didn't find any viruses. Could it have been simply to advertise the real estate company?

o

Maybe. But I would never do business with a company that hacked anyone's email...or posted spam on a forum. I don't open emails that go in my spam folder...and none that go into my inbox if I suspect they are spam.

o

This email looked like any other I would get from a friend. That's the problem, nothing suspicious at all about it and I'm always pretty alert having been trained by the very best in the business. It was not spam, it was much worse than that.

The purpose was "phishing" to collect personal information and target us for fraud.

o

Yes. I got it too. I did not open any attachments.

o

I ran malware and spy bot programs so hopefully the computer is cleaned up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here