Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkkpearls

What are these plants? ID?

pinkkpearls
9 years ago

So I lost my journal that notated everything I planted and I now have new growth. I want to say this particular sprout is gonna be a Black Barlow, but can't say for sure. Anyone have an idea, I'd love to know...thanks.

Comments (9)

• pinkkpearls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I have no idea what this is... :(

• pinkkpearls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, this seed packet said this was a Bachelor's Button - I planted this back in September and it hasn't done anything but be green, any idea what it is?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Hi! (Sorry, I forgot your name for the moment) I think the second plant is columbine. According to the link below the plants in the last photo do look like bachelor button seedlings. Hope this helps a little.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bachelor button seedlings ...

• briaustex
    9 years ago

I agree with roselee that those are columbine (your black barlow variety?) and bachelor buttons. The bachelor buttons probably won't flower until spring. The first picture kind of looks like gladiolus but it's unusual for that to sprout this time of year unless you planted the bulbs late in the season.

• pinkkpearls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hiya Rosalee - Its Renae, no biggie, we only just met :)

Now that I think of it, I did plant some Glads - I was told to put them in the ground back in October/November :( Have I killed them? Will them come back in the Spring, or should I put in more croms in the spring? Same thing for the columbine, are they gonners too?

Everything that I planted has sprouted, alliums, poppy anemone, all irises have new growth, and coneflowers - if everything is gonna die back and regrow in the Spring/Summer, cool, if not - ugh! :(

You live and learn :)

• briaustex
    9 years ago

The columbine will be fine and should put on a good show in the spring along with most of the rest of what you listed. Both bachelor buttons and columbine are best started from seed in the fall in our area. The gladiolus will most likely die back if we get a string of mid-20s or lower nights, but should return in spring. Gladiolus are usually planted in the spring unless you're are planting one of the Gladiolus nanus varieties (winter gladiolus, dwarf variety).

This post was edited by briaustex on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 23:38

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

Any chance they were Byzantine Glads? They are planted in fall and bloom in spring.

• pinkkpearls
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey briaustex and cynthianovak these were The Gladiolus Nanus Charm, so I guess that explains it. I think I might have to move them; didnt realize I planted them behind the columbine - either way I just want to see them in the Spring! Makes me excited!

The columbine was put in a month or so back, it was 3 bare roots I planted and the BBs were started from seed back in September, so all in all I think I did something right!

I think I'm falling in love with Gardening!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

It's so refreshing to see (or read) your enthusiasm!

It will all work out, every garden is just a little different and some learning does come from trial and error or trial and success!

Pam