Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Dark Foggy Day Gardening

I spent my warm and VERY dark foggy day of endless dusk planting seeds in hope of a wet winter. Has anyone else doing the winter seed planting of annuals and wildflowers? Trudging their gardens in aimless circles clawing at the soil?
I did Peony poppies , Shirley poppies, rhoes poppies, Those fancy danish flag/cross something poppies, Hungarian Bread poppies , a deep red ruffled poppy
Three types of nigellia, Bigelow aster , Tahoka daisy, Mentzelia decapatela, Ring Muhly, weeping muhly, rayless gaillardia, Pink and white columbine, NOw bring on the rain please. I saw larkspur sprouting and many others. I love this time of year.

Different milkweeds, I sure hope the A.texana seeds are not too old. I have my fingers crossed on that one. If not LINDA do you have anymore????

Tomorrow is Penstemon day. I think I have 6 different ones for pots and in the wild . And the last of the trees for the valley.

I think I left three coffee cups hanging in trees. I found a broken pair of glasses (Mine) and a kitchen knife.

Oh I planted a bunch of Bridal veil stipa. Deer muhly and pine muhly, and seep muhly, weeping muhly. MAD WILD circles. Dirt flying⦠only a few more things hanging out of the ground. I almost see and end to my gardening for the fall, but then I need to start on the land restoration on the woods. Thank god I am fed by this and it makes me happy because if it didn't â¦...

This post was edited by wantonamara on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 18:51

Comments (6)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

You go girl!

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Mara, that is going to be so beautiful in the Spring. It appears that we are in for more rain for all your diggings. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

I was going to mention that we don't "claw aimlessly" at our soil anymore. We bought a power auger, bulb planter, drill bit, 3x24 inches, on the net, and DH can now dig 30 holes in no time flat!!!

I just love it!!!!

Him.... not so much, lol.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did another day of onward through the fog. Is anyone else out there digging and scratching at the soil. I went up into the WILD part of my land and I found some of the liatris sprouting that I planted out about a couple of weeks ago. That makes me so happy. I saw rosettes of other plants too that I planted. I mark them with "stars" of over lapped sticks.

I got the flat tire on the wheel barrow fixed so I was able to unload the 10 gallons of granite sand out of the hatchback. Tomorrow I scarify and soak in peroxide and then plant in some deep sand some astragalus seed from New Mexico.

I just love this fog. I know it won't last. I would hate it if it did what it does in Germany and Washington Coast all winter long but this is nice AND WARM! I feel so comforted by it. Moss is growing. It gives me so much hope for those little seedlings. And the tree seedlings that sprouted all summer are still there through the hot August. We have not had baby trees in the forest because of the drought. It is good to see some of them making 2 years old.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 19:52

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The rocks in my soil would make quick work of that Auger. No gentle fill out here. A friend came over with an 12' wide augur attachment on a sizable tractor to dig some holes to sink in some tall 4x4for my 7' garden fence. and had to give up. I then had it completed by a friend with a jack hammer. I would have to bring in some garden soil to use that kind of garden tool. I have used some 2" spade bits and they seem to work until I hit a rock. Planting trees in the valley is all about finding a crack in the rocks and jimmying them apart to insert the small seedling tree. So far the ones I planted in september are still alive.

Sunnysa , I am jealous of your soil and your tool . What kind of bulbs are you planting for the spring.I am looking forward to the massive amounts of the wild onion . I saw them waking up when I was digging around. They only wake up on the wet winters. I have about a hundred seedling rain lilies that I sprouted and they are ready to go in the ground. I have a two" spade bit that would do them in the ground in the hollow, I don't need to go very deep and I actually have washed down soil there.. Thanks for reminding me of the tool. Right tool for the job saves gobs of time.

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Mara, you have a very good point there. It just would not work in very rocky soils. I hope that it works a bit in your hollow. It really would be a time saver. That's the very reason DH will not let me use it. He says if it hits a rock, it'll take my hand off. We do have some very rocky soil in parts of our yard. I just think it's amazing that you are able to spit open rocks to plant some seeds. That's some real manual labor!

In October, we planted a variety of irises, some pineapple lilies, an assortment of bulbs that were on clearance at Lowes. Just before all the drizzle started, we dug holes with the auger all over.... just about two inches.. to break up our clay soil. The entire yard took just about a half hour with the auger. We threw down some Bermuda grass seed and raked it over. Now, with all the drizzle, it's finally beginning to sprout. Hooray for the fog and mist!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OH you reminded me, I have two buckets of iris that I moved and need to be put back in the dirt. The fog has lifted a tad. Off to town to buy some more dirt for a raised bed.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!