Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Start seeds indoors in Tyler

Posted by brightstars z8 E Tx (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 21:12

I'm not good at seed starting indoors. DH says they used to do it all the time - forever ago. So he wants to try some tomatoes and peppers this year to later set out in our hoop-house for an earlier start it is hoped. (supposed to leave for the summer late June so want some fresh goodies) Hoop House is bigger than I wanted and is more in the winter shade I'm finding out. Last year I had a small one for lettuce and another for broccoli both further over and had plenty of sun. Worked great. Big trees shade out garden in the mornings year around. Next year the hoop house will be put at the other end of the garden for more sun.
Anyway, any advice on the seed starting would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Start seeds indoors in Tyler

It is time to start your tomato plants now. Peppers can wait some more depending on how soon we get our spring next year. Unless you are starting them in good soil the pepper should not be a problem now either they all do like warm weather. I did put out my plants last year right after the 14th of Feb.

o

I found the neatest growing calendar, you just use your zip code and get a list of what to start when.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprout Robot

o

Thanks so much for all the info.

Pretty cool website too. thanks for sharing that.

o

I usualy start everything about 3 months before I plan on planting outside. It took me a while untill I figured out how to get good plants for spring. But now I just start about 3 mt before I plan on planting outside. The temperature has a big effect on how fast or slow things will grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here