Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you know this butterfly?

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 21:27

My garden was full of butterflies this afternoon. I guess I'm the best nectar source around. Some were small some were big like the giant tiger swallow tail. But this one looks like a Monach underneath, complete with body. do you recognize it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you know this butterfly?

Gulf Frittilary (Agraulis vanillae)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Agraulis v.

o

Nope it's a Queen. They feed on milkweeds though like Monarchs

o

Yes, it's definitely a Queen. I get them on my milkweed some years. The cats look almost exactly like Monarchs except they have an extra set of "horns" near the middle of their bodies. Chrylasis look very much alike too. Easy to confuse them.

o

Interesting! It's a Danaus gilippus, then. According the information I found on the net, they do not migrate. I wonder if the caterpillars I have on my milkweeds are queens and not monarchs...

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen butterfly

o

My response did not go through. It is a Queen and I found her on milkweed. the photo was taken on fennel in flower.

They are suddenly everywhere. I assume the heat and the fact that I have loads of flowers made my garden the place to lay eggs and to stay as long as possible.

I do not remember seeing them before. Maybe a few but not like this.

o

I happened to come across this blog post about how to tell Queens and Monarchs apart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen, Monarch Caterpillars and Butterflies: How to tell the difference ...

o

Queens DO migrate, it's just much less distance involved. I usually see Queens, mainly traveling northward in Spring to late summer. Then periodically I see them in summer. In fall they are pretty much headed south. For some reason I didn't see their eggs or caterpillars on the milkweed this year. And mainly just saw male Queen butterflies. Not sure why that was. I did have the Monarch caterpillars in spring this year, but even though I saw the Monarchs in my garden this fall, no eggs or caterpillars were spotted. I must say that this year was unusual, because I even saw a few Monarchs in early December! I saw a Queen this morning, also unusual to see one this late. Lots of butterflies left, mainly snouts, American Ladies, sulfurs and skippers. And there's at least one Red Admiral and a few Common Mestras (a fairly tropical butterfly seldom seen here). Unfortunately, freezing weather is coming! Monday night it's forecast to get to 25 degrees here in my Hill Country area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here