Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
man_go_bananas

Any Mango growers here?

Man-Go-Bananas
12 years ago

Is anyone here in Texas growing mangoes with any success? If so, what varieties are you growing?

Thanks, MGB

Comments (20)

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    12 years ago

Our neighbors have mango trees, but I am unsure of the varieties. Our young Nam Dac Mai Mango died in the sole freeze earlier this year, which was apparently the worst in 20 years for the Rio Grande Valley.

Ty

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How big are your neighbor's trees? Are they flowering yet? I'm sorry to hear about your NDM.

MGB

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    12 years ago

The trees are in the 15-20 ft range and I believe they fruited in previous years.

Ty

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice- Anybody else made an attempt at mangoes??

• cjra
    12 years ago

We have a mango tree going through it's second winter (in San Antonio, SE side). It was very small last year and survived well, but we babied it. It was covered and had a small heat source whenever it got close to freezing. We got 3 fruit this summer but they all were destroyed before ripening (major wind storms + fragile tree+ heavy fruit). So far, we haven't been as good at keeping it covered an have had a few close-freezes, an it's showing it :(. We've covered it now so hopefully it'll survive.

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

it can be done, especially you're in zone 9 and higher. Many nurseries in Houston sell mango and other tropical fruit trees, just gotta give them protection or move indoor/greenhouse when the temp is lower than mid 30's.
    i grew a couple of mango seedlings last summer and they're about a foot tall now with 1/2 dozen leaves, along with my lychee, sugar apple and star fruit.

• diaz7
    8 years ago

I have a Mango tree (Alfonso Mango) in a 24 inch flower pot, it's about 6 ft tall. I put it in the Garage in the Winter and back outside when the temperatures come back up. It produces five to 10 Mangoes every year but you have to fertilize it. I am looking for someone who has other mango varieties in hope that I can graft another type of Mango to it. I live in San Antonio

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

If, for example, you live in Brownsville and you get the plant established, it can become a curse once it's mature. Mango fruit tends to ripen across the entire tree on the same day. If the birds don't come in and ruin the entire crop on that day, then all the fruit (1,000 pounds??) falls off the tree before you can get it picked. Then you're shoveling up a half ton of messy fruit.

I wonder if you could make mango wine with all that? The problem is you cannot possibly eat that much mango in a season.

• publicpollenhas
    8 years ago

I,000pounds? In norwegian this is called taking sorrows in advance. Is this a saying on english too? ;-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That's a great saying (idiom), but I can't think of a comparable saying in English even with the help of the list of idioms. The closest I can come up with is "Don't bite off (plant) more than you can chew". In this case it would be pretty darn literal.

• diaz7
    7 years ago

You can really grow Mangoes in Brownsville ? I did not know that? and I have never seen a mango tree where all the Mangoes ripe at the same time, dude you are exaggerating..

• jreyna40
    7 years ago

I live in Brownsville and have 4 mangoes trees growing in my backyard. 3 are from seeds and one is grafted. Mangoes do not mature at the same time. You can pick them when they are still green and enjoy a long season. None are wasted with friends and relatives the love mangoes.

• diaz7
    7 years ago

Hi Jreyna, I guess it does not get very cold there in the winter, that would be the reason why you can grow a Mango tree outside. Here in San Antonio, I have tried to grow Mango trees however the frost gets to it and kills it way to the root. I have one in a pot, I put in the garage in the winter. I have an avocado as well but I also put in the garage in the winter. What mango variety do you have?

Thanks for sharing your mango information, I love mangoes

• jreyna40
    7 years ago

The grafted mango I have is a Haden. The 3 from seeds are Mexican mangoes I bought at HEB. They are very easy to grow from seeds. I also have 4 more mangoes the are about 3 feet tall. It will take 3 or 4 more years to see them blossom. Not to overstate, but I also 12 small- about 12" tall-plants. I have run out of room.

• diaz7
    6 years ago

Hi Jreyna, how are your Mango trees doing? My Mango tree had lots of flowers this year and they turned into the size of marbles, lots of them but then this small little black moth looking bug invaded it, all the branches turn black and all the mangoes died however the tree is doing very well. Any ideas. Mario

• jreyna40
    6 years ago

Never had moths! This year I had bad luck with windy days that blew the flowers away. No flowers no fruit. The only grafted mango gave about 6 fruits with 3 ruined by birds. Oh well, I do have about 4 more mangoes from seeds that are about ready next year.

• diaz7
    6 years ago

I took a trip to FL to visit my sister there, I brought back with me, 3 mango scion and 5 avocado scions, I grafted them to my avocado and mango trees, I should know the results in 3 more weeks. I have to keep my mango tree in a 24 inch pot because the winter here will kill it if I don't. I need to find how to get rid of the insects that invade my mango tree next summer. I am glad you some mangos this year, better than nothing.

• diaz7
    6 years ago

Jreyna, I thought it takes about 7 to 8 years before a mango tree begins to produce mangos, did you say yours bloomed in 3 to 4 years? if so, how tall is your mango plant? I am growing another one, it's about 3 feet tall now, this one is from a seed I planted about 4 Months ago from HEB as well

• ebrain
    6 years ago

@diaz7: Came across while looking for something else. Used to live in SA and I own a mango farm in Pakistan. Depends on variety. Fruit in 3-4 years is normal for some varieties. I would recommend growing base, fast growing variety then grafting all its limbs to whatever you prefer. This way you grow trees fast, and get desired variety from established trees. I had my staff do it to some of the trees that were 40+ years old replacing all limbs. Good luck!